Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nero problem - are my DVD writers broken?

• Please log in to reply

cwillis

cwillis

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi there, thanks for accepting me as a member, and I'm very sorry if this question has been asked before - I've done numerous searches but am stuck.

I have the Windows Vista Ultimate system and use Nero Express Essentials 7 which I received with my ASUS DVD Writer. I also have an inbuilt DVD/Blue-Ray which was working great last week. I went to burn a disk today but there are no DVD drives. I used Device Manager to uninstall the drives, then rebooted and let them install again. Didn't work. I followed a registry fix for UpperLimit and LowerLimit, but that didn't work out.

Ultimately, I wish to be able to see my DVD drives in the Nero burning package so that I can burn disks. I have had this problem before and had to re-install Windows not too long ago. I have no clue as to what I have done and will appreciate any help/assistance. I just got Windows the way I wanted it since my last install (and the DVD's were working then). I really don't know what happened. I use Comodo Firewall and Rising Antivirus, have also scanned using Trend Micro Housecall as well as Windows Defender AND Malwarebytes Antimalware and have no malware, greyware, viruses, etc at all on my system.

I booted Ubuntu (Linux) from USB and can burn using that, so I doubt the hardware is faulty - is just something that's in Windows. Any ideas will be great.

Just had a thought: I did have a trial version of Acronis True Image Home which expired, and uninstalled it a couple of days ago and I have an idea that I did the same thing last time, before I re-installed Windows.

With thanks,
Chris

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

I went to burn a disk today but there are no DVD drives

Does Nero say so, or the drive is missing from Windows Explorer, Device Manager?

williscm

williscm

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
When I double click on the Nero application, it used to have a drop down box on the left containing my two DVD drives. Even the drop down box is missing. I downloaded a freeware utility called Imgburn but had the same problem. The devices are present in device manager.

I also tried to do a disk check on my hard drives, but it wouldn't do it. I thought I might tell you about this in case it's part of the same problem.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I also tried to do a disk check on my hard drives, but it wouldn't do it

Chkdsk? What happened?

williscm

williscm

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I went to Explorer, right click on the C drive, do a scandisk. It went 'blip', a bit like a flicker, and that's it. I know the C drive is there ... lol.

Thank you for your help on this. As I say, it happened before and I ended up reinstalling, and now it's happened again -- really don't want to do a full reinstall.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

williscm

williscm

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I tried the removal of device drivers and will try the other stuff tonight and let you know. Thanks for that!

Sorry about my user name changing. For some reason I couldn't log in today so had to create a new account - strange.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Be aware, that, if the above steps won't help, most likely, you need a new drive.

williscm

williscm

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I don't think it is the drive, to be honest, because I can burn with Ubuntu on the same machine. There are two drives. It would be weird if they both went at the same time (one is a USB external adn I tried it in several USB ports but it works on other machines).

Shall try what you suggested later today. Many thanks for the tip.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No problem :)
Keep us posted...

Advertisements

williscm

williscm

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi there. I'm up to point 4 without success. Now, I'm a bit confused, to quote you:

4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

So, I'm in device manager, but ther eis no IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. Is it under a certain sub-heading?

The DVD drives say they are 'working properly'. I also read about a Nero cleaning tool, so did a complete uninstall and re-install. Nothing yet works.

To avoid any confusion, I'm attaching a screenshot of the Nero v7 application. It is Nero Essentials. I got it with my DVD drive. On the left, there is usually a drop-down box with the different DVD writers but as you can see, even the drop down box doesn't exist under 'Recorder'.

Attached Thumbnails

• NERO.jpg

Edited by williscm, 15 June 2009 - 04:02 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'd prefer, if you could post your Device Manager screenshot. Something is missing there.

williscm

williscm

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Having a problem posting - forum keeps kicking me out when I click 'Add reply'. Sorry for taking so long. I eventually can reply.

So I have uploaded the device manager screen if this is of any use.

Attached Thumbnails

• devicemgr.JPG

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Honestly, I've never seen IDE Controllers missing from Control Panel, so I'm not sure what to tell you at this moment.

williscm

williscm

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
That's okay. I very much appreciate you help me through some troubleshooting techniques. I do have a feeling it was that trial program -- can't remember the exact name. Acros TrueImage or something. It expired after a couple of weeks, and that's about the time the problem started. Don't know if this may help for future enquiries.

I'll leave this open if that is okay, just for a few days. The prospect of re-installing is daunting, especially so because the Acros program was to stop that from happening! How ironic, huh!