Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird graphics bug in Combat Mission games

• Please log in to reply

baneman

baneman

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi guys, I hope you can help.

A few months back my PC blew up and I had to rebuild from scratch.
This initially went off without a hitch, but when attempting to play the games Combat Mission BB or Combat Mission AK, I get a weird problem with my graphics.

Basically the PC stops for a few seconds while playing CM, then a bunch of wrong textures are displayed. If I ALT-TAB out of CM and back or save and reload, the textures go normal again, but generally this doesn't last long.

Also, until the PC is rebooted applications close and start (including ALT-TAB out of and into CM) with a recognizable delay of several seconds.

If I don't reload the game, the textures will often change again after an irregular delay and on a couple of occasions I've even had the PC BSOD after some time complaining about nv4_disp.

I have reinstalled both games - no luck.
I have since also purchased an new graphics card and loaded the latest drivers ( was using an 8600 GTS ) - no luck.
I've redownloaded and reinstalled DirectX 9.0c - no luck.

Clearly there is some problem that is beyond my abilities to fathom. I should also mention that all other apps and games function flawlessly on my machine.
Any ideas gratefully received as it's doing my head in.
Thanks
B

System Specs :

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.5512
Memory (RAM): 2048 MB
CPU Info: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz
CPU Speed: 2725.4 MHz
Sound card: SB X-Fi Audio [EC00]
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Monitors: 1
Screen Resolution: 1280 X 1024 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport | Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: E: HL-DT-STDVD-RAM GH22LS30
COM Ports: COM1
LPT Ports: NOT Present
Mouse: 16 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 370.0GB | D: 328.6GB | F: 465.8GB | G: 74.5GB | H: 93.2GB | I: 93.2GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 22.9GB | D: 15.1GB | F: 234.7GB | G: 33.8GB | H: 7.6GB | I: 5.1GB
USB Controllers: 7 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): 1 host controllers.
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.
Product Make: System Product Name
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 09/30/08 | MSTEST - 9000830
Time Zone: GMT Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5B-Deluxe
Modem: Not detected

Example screenshot of the problem: