Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help diagnosing problem

• Please log in to reply

Mocs

Mocs

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I built my machine originally in 2004 and upgraded in 2006. I am now having a problem with the following symptoms:

The screen flickers between "full" screen and about 1 inch smaller on top and bottom.

There are horizontal black lines that flicker on and off on the screen that move up and down quickly before disappearing.

I assumed that it was a video card problem, but when I tried a different card, it did the same thing. I am thinking now that it could be the monitor or the power supply, both of whom are from my original 2004 build.

My monitor is a 19" CRT a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB, which was a really nice monitor in it's day. The power supply is a Ultra 500watt modular unit.

Is there any way to diagnose this problem without trial and error? I don't have a spare PS or monitor.

Thanks

Here is the rest of my system in case it could be something else

AMD FX55 CPU
EVGA nForce 4 MoBo
EVGA gForce 7800GTX
2 gigs Corsair Value Select (4 x 512)
Hatachi 200gb HDD
WD Raptor 36gb HDD
Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930sb monitor
Ultra 500wt PS
Cooler Master Stacker Case (5 fans)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Seems like you have it narrowed down pretty good.
I would suggest trying a different monitor first as that seems to me to be where your problem is. Can you borrow a monitor from a friend for the test?
Take your system to a friends house and try it or the monitor. Either will show if the monitor is at fault.