Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

help with a wifi card please !

• Please log in to reply

Buccaneer

Buccaneer

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I purchased a used Dell D410 laptop and reinstalled XP Pro on it. It supposedly - according to the seller - has an internal wifi card in it but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make it work. I have a Linksys Wireless N notebook adapter that works great with the laptop; it provides me with the needed internet access, but I'd prefer the internal card; the adapter is one more thing to haul around on trips.

I was told that Dell uses either a Dell or Broadcom internal card. I downloaded the drivers for a Dell internal card but nothing happened. I shoudl also mention thqat when i look at device manager all the items under "Other" have that yellow exclamation point on them and I know thats not good. As you can tell, I'mm clueless with this stuff. I'd be willing to pay someone to talk me thru this !! :)

Thanks in advance !!

Phil

Edited by Buccaneer, 14 June 2009 - 02:34 PM.

Advertisements

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
It appears you are missing a handful of drivers after the fresh install of XP. The easy solution would be to get the driver CD that came with the laptop (if it came with the purchase). If not thats ok, we can get the drivers from the Dell support site.

You can go HERE.
1. Select 'Drivers and Downloads'.
2. Enter your Service Tag 'OR' navigate to Laptops -> Latitude -> D410.
3. Drop-down the network tab.
4. If your laptop came with a wireless card (which I am sure it did), it will either be the Dell(The one with 'Urgent' next to it) or the Intel(2200 or 2915). Broadcom is usually your LAN Network card.
5. Install the driver and restart.

In the meantime, can you tell us the name of the items that have a yellow exclamation mark? This helps us determine what hardware still needs a driver.

Buccaneer

Buccaneer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Thanks Trippster !! I really aprreciate you trying to help ........

** I have already installed all of the dell drivers that were marked urgent, and some of the ones marked "recommended"
also ..... including - I'm pretty sure - the 2 you mention. I do not know how to go back check and see what I have and dont have as far as drivers.

** When I try to run the "setup a home network" wizard i get a messages that says the network wizard found disconnected network hardware: local area connection Broadcom NetExtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller

** When I try to connect to my always on wireless home network I cant see or find it

** The device manager shows the following in yellow - all under other: ++ mulitmedia audio controller & ++ network controller & ++ PCI simple communications controller

Phil

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Unforunately we can't just go installing all the wireless drivers listed (you need to have the exact one for the hardware you have) or it won't work. This wouldn't be a huge issue if we knew which wireless card you have, but we don't since you bought it used and do not have the driver CD that came with it, we gotta do some good ole' guess and check.

I am going to assume we haven't installed the correct network drivers yet (for LAN and wireless). So let's continue troubleshooting. Before doing the steps below, lets uninstall any network drivers we have already installed. To do this, go into Device Manager, open the network tab, and uninstall any drivers for the listed Network Adapters.

To begin with, the 3 yellow exclamation marks are telling me that you do not have drivers installed for ---

1. Your audio/speakers (download and install the driver for this HERE)
2. Your LAN Network card OR your wireless network card. (For the LAN card, download and install the driver for this HERE) And for the Wireless card, lets try the driver HERE
3. PCI could be a modem or Network card as well. (Lets install the 56k modem driver found HERE, to see if thats what the Simple PCI slot is, if it isn't this driver won't hurt anything.

Let me know when you complete these steps and we can see what device manager is telling us for Unknown devices.

Edited by Trippster, 15 June 2009 - 09:55 AM.

Buccaneer

Buccaneer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I really appreciate your help.
I did all the steps you suggested.
I can still only acess the net with the Linksys card that goes in the slot on the side.

Device manager info:
Under network adapters now reads: Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller [is that right ?]
Under Other Devices are 2 with the yellow arrow ? and !: Network Controller and PCI Simple Communications Controller

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Ok well at least we have one working internet adapter that can help us fix the others. :)

Now for the remaining unknowns, lets try looking them up by using the Vendor/Device ID.

• Navigate to the items with the yellow exclamation point.
  • Right-Click on them and select 'Properties'.
  • Click on the 'Details' tab. Read the line that begins with PCI\VEN and tell me what the digits/characters are after VEN_ and DEV_.

For Example, my network adapter details are 'PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_100E&blahblahblah'

I need the red bolded information from these two unknown devices (Network Adapter and PCI Simple Communications)

Edited by Trippster, 15 June 2009 - 12:37 PM.

Buccaneer

Buccaneer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Trippster ...

Yes, I'm using a Linksys # WPC300N V1 wireless N notebook adapter. Its allowing me to access the net.
But I KNOW there is a wireless card inside the laptop .. it used to work !!

Control Panel / System / Hardware / Device Manager

Nwteork Controller = PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4223&SUBSYS_10208086&REV .....

PCI Simple Communications Controlletr = PCI\VEN_104&DEV-8038&SUBSYS .....

Thanks

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Ok the Network Controller is reporting as the Intel 2200/2915. So lets download that driver HERE.
The PCI Simple Communications Controller is reporting as a Texas Instruments Smart Card, I believe the correct driver is HERE.

Get those installed and lets see if we finally have drivers for all the hardware. Also have you tried plugging this laptop with an ethernet cable, your LAN card should be working, whether you plan to use it ever or not it's good to test it so it can be a backup.

Buccaneer

Buccaneer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOO !!!!!!! :)

Thank you ... Thank you ... Thank you !!!!
I'm now connected to the net with my internal card @ 54Mbps - the max my provider provides.
My device manager shows no more yellow ?'s or 1's.

Trippster ... thanks so much for all your help and stick-to-it-ness.

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Glad to hear :)

Buccaneer

Buccaneer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I knew a guy with Floyd's DSOTM art as his avatar would know what he's doing !!! :)