Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP does not see updated Firewall software

• Please log in to reply

jollyr

jollyr

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Am running XP Pro SP3. Recently updated firewall software, Zone Alarm freeware version (ZA), ver 8.0.298.000 and now the little red shield from Windows Security Center appears in my task tray saying my firewall is turned off, which is strange, because the firewall appears to be functioning normally. I then tried downloading the new version of ZA and performed a clean install but the red shield remains.

I would appreciate any input on what's going on and how to fix it. Has anyone else had a problem with this version running on XP?

Thank you.

JR

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You need to tell Windows you have another firewall solution. Open security center and under firewall click on recommendations
In there you will see a option to click stating you have another firewall solution
Let me know how this works :)

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
When I go into Security center, my only option is to "monitor firewall myself". This will shut off the red shield in my task bar but Windows always used to recognize ZA until I just upgraded it. My concern is that Windows always used to recognize ZA but now it does not. Has anyone seen this? Is this an issue with ZA orl should I check for malware?

Edited by jollyr, 14 June 2009 - 02:58 PM.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you can make sure its always updated there's no reason for Windows to know about it. I'm sure its just a minor glitch that that feature was not carried into the newer version. So just select that option, or under "Choose how Windows notifies me" you can tell it not to at all.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Follow steps from here: http://vista.blorge....icate-programs/ to fix the issue.
Works for both, XP, and Vista.

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Followed suggested technique in vista.blorge.com without success. The red shield reappeared, even after restarting. Started browsing other posts about firewalls and saw a post recommending Comodo firewall. I uninstalled ZA and installed Comodo firewall (but not their AV). My PC boots more quickly now and windows recognizes Comodo. I appreciate everyone's input.

Now I have another question. I am using Avira AV with good success. Would there be any advantage to switching to Comodo AV?

Edited by jollyr, 14 June 2009 - 07:55 PM.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Good going :)

Think about it this way... there's no harm in trying it out! Just make sure you don't have both running at the same time. Other than consolidating your security, I don't really think you'll see much difference.

Edited by NeonFx, 14 June 2009 - 07:57 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
IMHO, it's better not to use combo. One program for AV, another one for firewall.

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Yeah, I've learned from experience to only have one firewall and one AV running at a time. My current configuration seems to work fine. So I'll keep it as-is for now. I have also seen how all-in-one utilities tend to bog systems down by becoming resource hogs. I like to keep my old PIII system as lean an efficient as I can!

Thanks guys, again, for your input. It's greatly appreciated. :)

JR