Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD Help

• Please log in to reply

Xico

Xico

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
A few days ago I got the dreaded BSOD on my old Windows XP box. Specifically, I recieved the following:

Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_or_Equal
Stop: 0x000000D1 (OxE1D27000, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF4B6FE85)

I am aware that this type of problem revolves around a bad driver for either software or hardware. The problem is, I haven't upgraded anything any later than 04/30/09 and have had no problems between now and then. I recieved no download prompts, no update messages, no error messages, no visible indicators that anything different or abnormal was happening. My computer went from operating normally one evening to wallowing in BSOD [bleep] when I attempted to turn it on the next morning; I can log into Normal mode, but the system quits after a few seconds.

Is there any way I can tell what my computer was doing prior to the collapse? The only thing I can think of is that there might have been some Windows XP auto-update that snuck in while I was AFK, but since I have no idea what caused the BSOD situation I have no clue what to do to fix it.

I unplugged my Linksys to see if it was the source - nothing changed. I attempted to update my Nvidia driver (as I'd had problems with it before, hence my driver update on 04/30/09) but it made the graphics display worse than before; I had to roll back the driver, and in either case nothing improved my situation.

Any ideas? If you need more info, tell me where to get it and it's yours. I'd just like my computer back ASAP. :)

Advertisements

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Hi Xico,

In order to properly diagnose the machine I'll need some more info.

Please perform the following,

Click Start >> Run >> Type: msinfo32

Click File in the System Information dialogue box >> Export >> save as syslog.txt to the desktop

Open syslog and copy its contents into your next post.

Edited by Ectech, 14 June 2009 - 08:55 PM.

Xico

Xico

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi Ectech

I attempted to do as you asked. A little over half of the way through exporting my computer crashed and I got the same BSOD I've been getting for the past few days. Is there any other way I can get you the info you need?

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Boot the machine in Safe Mode. Reboot the computer, at startup press the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with the Advanced Options Menu. Using the keyboard, select Safe Mode.

Edited by Ectech, 14 June 2009 - 09:09 PM.

Xico

Xico

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Here you go. I attached the file in a zip folder as it was too big to just paste in.

Attached Files

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
The first issue I see is your system is only running on 512Mb of memory. I recommend you upgrade to at least 1Gb or even better 2Gb. Memory is fairly cheap and a great way to increase performance.

Your machine: Gateway FX400 takes PC2-5300 DDR2 memory.

The BSOD could also be caused by a corrupt pagefile. Which might mean your machine is infected with malware. I will continue to look through your log.

Xico

Xico

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

The first issue I see is your system is only running on 512Mb of memory. I recommend you upgrade to at least 1Gb or even better 2Gb. Memory is fairly cheap and a great way to increase performance.

Your machine: Gateway FX400 takes PC2-5300 DDR2 memory.

I'll be looking to that in the near-future.

The BSOD could also be caused by a corrupt pagefile. Which might mean your machine is infected with malware. I will continue to look through your log.

I had a malware problem about 3-4 days (approx) before the BSOD episode. I have HijackThis downloaded on my computer, and ran it both after the malware problem and after the BSOD, and as far as I can tell my computer is clean. I may be wrong, however.

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Please run the following tools in safe mode w/ networking:

1) Flash Uninstaller - Download

2) Mcafee Removal Tool - Link

Also, download/run Cleanup! & CCleaner from my sig.

Let me know if you can now boot into normal mode after running the tools above.

Edited by Ectech, 14 June 2009 - 09:55 PM.

Xico

Xico

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I downloaded and ran everything you linked/suggested, restarting as necissary when prompted, without any complications. I then attempted to start in Normal mode, but got the same BSOD message as before.

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Your computer is still infected with malware. Please see our Malwware Cleaning Guide

Start with downloading & running ERUNT, next do the same with malwarebytes.

Make sure to run the tools in safe mode w/ networking.

Once completed, post an OTListit & Rooter log Here.

Someone from the Malware Staff with help you cleanup the rest.

Good Luck! :)

Edited by Ectech, 14 June 2009 - 10:29 PM.

Advertisements

Xico

Xico

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Once completed, post an OTListit & Rooter log

How do I do that? Was that the start/run/msinfo32 file, or will one of those two anti-malware programs let me do that?

Xico

Xico

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Downloaded/ran ERUNT and Malwarebytes, updated Windows, started in Normal mode. No change. Gonna try the next steps on the malware cleaning guide.

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

How do I do that? Was that the start/run/msinfo32 file, or will one of those two anti-malware programs let me do that?

MalwareBytes is a fantastic program, it alone might be able to cure the BSOD. I will instruct you the best I can. If my effort's will not completely resolve your issue then I will direct you to the Malware Cleaning Section.

Please download/run Malwarebytes in safe mode w/ networking.

Once you finish that, reboot the machine.

The next thing i'd like you to do is perform a chkdsk.

Here is how...

1) Click Start >> Run >> Type: cmd
2) In the open dialogue box, Type: chkdsk /r
3) you should be prompted to schedule the check next time you restart. Please do so.
4) Chkdsk can take up to 2 hours depending on the size of your hard drive.
5) After the scan completes, boot into normal mode and attempt to post another MSINFO Log.

At that time I will determine if you need to visit the Malware Tech's.

Xico

Xico

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

1) Click Start >> Run >> Type: cmd
2) In the open dialogue box, Type: chkdsk /r
3) you should be prompted to schedule the check next time you restart. Please do so.
4) Chkdsk can take up to 2 hours depending on the size of your hard drive.
5) After the scan completes, boot into normal mode and attempt to post another MSINFO Log.

When I attempted to run chkdsk /r, I was informed that it could not run 'because the volume is in use by another process' and was prompted to schedual it upon rebooting. I checked 'yes' and rebooted, but did not recieve any indication that chkdsk had begun. I attempted the command again only to be told 'the type of the file system is NTFS, cannot lock current drive' and, again 'cannot run because volume is in use by another process'.

Edited by Xico, 14 June 2009 - 11:09 PM.

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
At this point your best option is to backup any data & reinstall Windows. If you do not have a Windows CD to reinstall then the Malware Tech's might be able to cleanup the system enough to make it usable.

For the heck of it though can you post a fresh MSINFO32 log please.