Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSOD Help

• Please log in to reply

Xico

Xico

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you for your help. A fresh msinfo log is attached below.

Is there anything else that could be causing my BSOD besides malware? I just want to make sure my options are covered before I do something as drastic as a reinstall.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
If afraid not, the msinfo log show's signs of very deep rooted malware. Although many infections can be "cleaned" the only sure fire way to know 100% that the machine is safe would be a reinstall. If you chose, i'm sure the Malware Tech's can help clean the system pretty well. But I don't recommend it in this case.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 10,589 posts
Please post in the Malware forum as suggested by Ectech on Post #10 .

Xico

Xico

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Please post in the Malware forum as suggested by Ectech on Post #10 .

I'll do so asap. :)

I'd really rather not install, since I'm not sure I can. I have the disks, but I have a problem with my DVDROM drive; the one that came with the computer broke, and I had to chop an older DVDROM out of another computer in order to restore a semblance of functionality to my computer. The imported DVDROM drive is read-only and I don't have an A: drive on this computer. I use a Linksys router to connect to another computer and share its internet connection. I can't backup my info (no capability to write to a disk or external drive) and if I reinstall, I'll lose the driver for the imported DVDROM that allows me to install my Linksys driver and thus connect to the internet. I can't get the DVDROM driver without being able to connect to the internet, and I can't connect to the internet without first being able to use my DVDROM drive. If I have problems after reinstalling I'm literally on my own.

Do I have any other options? I've heard (via Google) that my BSOD could've been caused by anything from bad RAM to any one of a number of driver problems. My funds are non-existant at this point, and at best I'd have to wait 4+ months before I'd have a chance of upgrading or changing anything. I don't want to lose my computer to something this random. :-/

Edited by Xico, 15 June 2009 - 08:24 AM.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
For about 25.99 you can purchase another DVD\cd burner...

From Newegg here...

It is not as expensive to replace this as you may think... unless you are in another country...

Good luck

Cbarnard

Xico

Xico

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I buckled under and bought another DVD/CD drive. Gonna reinstall Windows and give this a go. Wish me luck. :)