Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

STOP c000021a

• Please log in to reply

slreagan

slreagan

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 4400 running Windows XP SP2. After installing the latest Windows updates and cleaning all of the junk out of temp files/etc with ATF Cleaner, I rebooted the system. On reboot, I got the Windows XP splash screen, it would go black, and try to restart again. I tried to reboot in Safe Mode, but got the same result. After telling it not to automatically reboot on error, I received the following error message:

STOP c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The System Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000026c (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Shawn

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Did you try booting into Last Known Good Configuration?

slreagan

slreagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Yes, I tried to boot to Last Known Good Configuration. No joy on that one either.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Try restoring your registry. Click on Fix a Corrupted Registry in my sig, and follow the instructions. If you don't have a Windows CD, then click on Recovery Console Instructions in my sig, and follow the directions to make a CD, then use it with the other directions.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the registry recovery doesn't work then do the following:

Let's check your memory and make sure there is no issue with it. Download memtest86 from the link in my signature below.

Get the file that is named Download - The one you want is "Download - Pre-compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). When it downloads, it will be labeled memtest86+2.11.iso.zip
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory. It will look like a zip file in some cases but the file name will now be memtest86+2.11.iso

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc in my signature below.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Running the Diagnostic Program:

The basic diagnostic screen has five main sections of relevant information. Three at the top which are labeled, PASS %, TEST %, and TEST #. This will basically show you the total progress of the current test, the overall progress of the diagnostic test, and the test number is currently performing.

On the middle left hand side of the of the program interface there is a “Wall Time” section that will keep track of how long the diagnostic test has been running for. This just gives you an idea if you are not attending the testing process.

The main section to look for is the lower half of the screen which is usually blank. As long as the memory testing is going ok with no errors this section of the screen should remain blank. If the diagnostic program finds any serious faults in the memory you will see it display a memory dump of address’s in this section. This is similar to what is displayed on your screen when you encounter a blue screen of death.

You now have most everything you need to know about setting up and testing your memory with diagnostic programs. This guide should help you get to the source of any intermittent problems related to your memory.

Run memtest for at least 2 hours
If it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the memory
If there are no errors after 2 hours press Esc and that will end the tests
We will then try other options

If this doesn't find a problem then you will need to do a SFC (System File Check) or a Repair Installation on your Windows

Edited by rshaffer61, 15 June 2009 - 08:23 PM.

slreagan

slreagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Edge2022 - I have a question before trying to restore the registry. I went to the kb article you have linked in your sig and the one of the first things there is warning to not use that procedure if you have an OEM-installed OS. Since my computer came from Dell with the OS installed, is there any major risk in performing this task?

Rshaffer61 - I downloaded and ran memtest86+-2.11 overnight. After running for 7+ hours, it showed no errors in the memory.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Send us the dump files in C:\Windows\Minidump

Ive heard this happening after a particular update was applied, http://www.van-steen...dows_0xc000026c

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Try booting into the Recovery Console: http://www.kellys-ko.../win_xp_rec.htm
If you have your Windows CD then you can use it. If you don't then click on Recovery Console Instructions in my sig and follow the directions to create a CD. Once you are in the Recovery Console, give the command:
chkdsk /r
This process will take a long time and DO NOT interrupt it.

Do this if the instructions in diabillic's link doesn't fix your computer. BTW... good find. :)

If it comes down to it, then we can reinstall the OS with the Dell recovery partition. We can always recover your files before this if you want to.

slreagan

slreagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
diabillic - The file size of Minidump is 0, so there's nothing to send. I went through the procedure that you linked to remove the update, but still get the same error when I try to reboot.

edge2202 - I booted up into the Recovery Console and ran chkdsk /r. After it finished, it said it had fixed 1 error. However, I still could not successfully boot the machine. I continue to get the same error.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You can try the registry recovery, but create a backup of your current hives first.
This article shows how to backup and restore (if needed) registry files if the process doesn't work.
http://www.aitechsol...inxpnoboot.html

Otherwise we may have to do a repair installation. Do you have a Windows CD?

EDIT: Forgot to add link.

Edited by edge2022, 19 June 2009 - 11:39 AM.

Advertisements

slreagan

slreagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I tried the fix both in the article you linked and in the kb article. I did a backup on the existing registry files and then copied the registry files from the c:\windows\repair folder back to the system32\config folder. The instructions in both articles say to exit the Recovery console and reboot the machine normally at that point. I still can't get the machine to boot up. I still receive the same error as I originally did. So, I can't complete the steps in either article after that.

I have the Dell-provided Reinstallation CD for Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition. That is the one I've been using to login to the Recovery Console.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
We might have to do a repair installation then.
Here is a tutorial: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html
This will not delete any data, programs, or settings.

slreagan

slreagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I did the repair installation and can now log in again! I did receive a few errors during the repair. Here they are in the order they came up:

COM+ Setup Error
Sub-component COM+ raised an exception while processing the OC_COMPLETE_INSTALLATION setup message.
D:\nt\com\com1x\src\complussetup\comsetup\csetuputil.cpp (line 3406)
Error Code = ox8007007f

The specified procedure could not be found.

Failed to load the library ‘C:\WINDOWS\System32\catsrv.dll’.

Windows Update
An error occurred loading “C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\directdb.dll”. The file may not have been installed or it has been corrupted.

An error occurred loading “C:\Windows\System32\inetcomm.dll”. The file may not have been installed or it has been corrupted.

An error occurred loading “C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msoe.dll”. The file may not have been installed or it has been corrupted.

An error occurred loading “C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\wab32.dll”. The file may not have been installed or it has been corrupted.

Windows Media Player
The file wmploc.dll has a version number of 8.0.0.4477 where 11.0.5721.5145 was expected.

Windows Media Player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled.

Do you want to install the Player from the Microsoft Web site?

Iexplore.exe – Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point SetDllDirectoryW could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

It seems that all programs are working except for Microsoft programs. When I try to start IE, I get the error "The procedure entry point SetDllDirectoryW could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll". When I try to start any of the Microsoft Office products, I get the error "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150002). Click on OK to terminate the application.".

I know I have network connectivity because I updated the virus definitions. But, I can't get Windows Update to run, so I can't install the critical updates.

Thanks for the help so far! It seems that we're at least making some progress!

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Thank you for listing all the errors, it should help.
1st of all, you need to be able to browse the internet so get a flash drive and download Firefox to it on a working computer. Then put the flash drive in the repaired computer, and run the Firefox installer. Download and install the latest Windows Media Player and IE8.

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Depending on which Control Panel view you use, Classic or Category, do one of the following:
* Click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
* Click Performance and Maintenance, click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
3. Click the option that you want. Make sure Automatic Updates is not turned off.

Turn on automatic updates.

After this... go to Start -> Run -> sfc /scannow
Then insert your Windows CD when prompted.

slreagan

slreagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I was able to download Firefox to a flash drive and then install it with no problems. I can now browse the internet using Firefox.

I downloaded IE8 installer and tried to run it. When I did, it appeared to be extracting files, but then I got the following error message and the setup would exit:

The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll.

I downloaded the Windows Media Player 11 installer and tried to run it. Just like IE8, it appeared to extract files. It then asked to validate my copy of Windows and provided the EULA. When I accepted the EULA, I got the message "Unsupported Operating System. This version of Windows Media Player can only be installed on a computer that is running Windows XP Service Pack 2." I checked the OS version on My Computer and it shows Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002.

Next, I ensured that Automatic Updates was enabled and ran sfc /scannow. It had me insert the Windows CD and appeared to be copying several files. I tried to run Windows Update after that, but nothing would happen. I still cannot install IE8 or WMP11.

I rebooted the machine just to be sure that any updates had taken, but still have the same issues.