Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I transfer operating system to new computer

• Please log in to reply

artpayne

artpayne

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi,

I currently run a Dell system, which is a bit old, on Windows XP sp3. I am in the process of buying a new computer and would like use my existing system disk, the one which came with the Dell. I have been told this is not possible. Is this so?

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Regards

Art

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is true. The recovery cd that came with your existing Dell system is made specifically for that model Dell. It contains all drivers and programming for that system. It will not work on any other Dell system.
If definitely will not work for any other brand name system.
If you are custom building a system it would be better to buy you a new copy of your OS system.
I myself would go with Vista 64 bit version. This will allow you to utilize more then 3.5 gigs of memory if you play games or use graphic intense programs. also with the release of Windows 7 sometime this year or beginning of next year everything is moving away from the 32 bit OS systems.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
there is also the option of linux operating systems, a lot of these will run quite efficiently on less powerfull (or older to some people) hardware,

most linux distro's come with all the drivers and software you need, the version i run has thousands,

there are live cd's to try which will not mess with your hard drive,

if you like one then you can install it to your hard drive and off you go,

linux live cd list,

linux

all it takes is the time to download, an iso burning program and a few blank cd's,

the downside is - its not windows, it may take a while to learn different programs (eg openoffice instead of microsoft office)

worth a look ?,

oh - most are free (including all the software)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you Hawklord and as always you have supplied a great option for the OP.
I forgot about Linux even though I have played with it a little recently. I agree it is a great and free alternative for artpayne to consider. :)

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
If you are in the market for a new PC, I would wait until June 26th to do so. If you buy a Vista loaded PC after that day, Microsoft will entitle you to a free or reduced cost price for Windows 7 when it retails in October of this year.

http://www.pcworld.c...tarts_soon.html

E Earhart

E Earhart

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a similar problem. I have a computer with WinXP Pro installed. I needed to restore files from a backup on another computer, so I restored the computer, and everything was working fine for about a week.

Now all of a sudden I have all kinds of Windows problems! One error after another. I keep getting the blue screen, tried a Safe Mode boot, with NO drivers running, and it just kept having fatal errors. I hate to repair, because we've ugraded from SP1 to SP3. But I did the repair, and the repair wouldn't complete the install because the files needed were not on the CD (duh) - because we had UPDATED Windows since then (the original XP cd is SP1). GRRR.. This is a critical computer for our office admin.

Is there an easier way? I DID try the system restore first, and it worked for about 1 minute after logging in, then the system rebooted itself and wouldnt work after that.

Any other ideas?
Ellen

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

.........Now all of a sudden I have all kinds of Windows problems! One error after another. I keep getting the blue screen, tried a Safe Mode boot, with NO drivers running, and it just kept having fatal errors. I hate to repair, because we've ugraded from SP1 to SP3. But I did the repair, and the repair wouldn't complete the install because the files needed were not on the CD (duh) - because we had UPDATED Windows since then (the original XP cd is SP1). GRRR.. This is a critical computer for our office admin..........

if this a 'works' pc, then please note this in the Terms of Use

We offer free computer help and tech support for home and personal use. We are not here to support others that work for profit, or to support/replace your company's IT department.

from T - o - U

if this is a home pc then please start a new thread and someone will come along soon to assist

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: E. Earhart

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

Edited by rshaffer61, 15 June 2009 - 12:19 PM.