Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Laptop

• Please log in to reply

Hitokage

Hitokage

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I am looking for a new laptop after the death of my old one (monitor cracked completely off of the base - they won't fix it saying its something I did, I think they are on crack because the screen started to split in half when it wasn't even being moved off the top of my desk! ><;:tazz:

I need something in the 600-900 dollar range that is decent. I don't need a ton of space or anything - just enough to run DVDs, music, office, wireless networking, etc.

I don't have enough money for my dream machine of something that can actually run FFXI (*shakes fist at roommates 1,600 dollar laptop*)

Any helpful ideas? Sorry if this is on the wrong forum but I wasn't sure where else to put this.

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
you can get a gateway that is pretty good. the dell has quaility but the stuff inside is trash for that price. I personally have a compaq i got for 599 at bestbuy on sale that does wireless and i use for school stuff all the time. it can play dvds.

Hitokage

Hitokage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Any problems with the compaq? How does it handle? What model is it?

Fiendi

Fiendi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Do not use Compaq laptops for game machines. I have had the displeasure of owning one and found that ALL heat generating components are centrally located with a single cooling fan. This results in a shutdown due to overheating. The problem started with shutdown occuring in about 40 mins and then escalated until the shudown occurs in 10-12 mins under heavy graphic load. I have been told it is just 'how it is' by the manufacturer.

Beware of the evils of Compaq Laptops for Gaming!!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dell get the best reviews for laptops, hudihoo is a little biased he seems to think a laptop should be as upgradable as a PC and blames this on dell.
You know if you threaten the manufacturers of your last one they will fix it if you make a big deal, also read your warranty if your problem is covered you can sue them for it and claim damages probably.

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Dell is pretty expensive?
I got a desktop for AUD$1500 and Dell's got the same, but yet a bit low of a computer for AUD$2,100. I'm not sure if Dell sells built or new computers? But still I save AUD$600, which I spent on software! Still works fine! Yes, Dell is better known, reliable and safe, but I think it's a bit too dear!!
Just thought this might help!
Regards RockyIV