Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell D410 has died; how can I troubleshoot ?

• Please log in to reply

Buccaneer

Buccaneer

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I have a D410 laptop that worked great a few weeks back, and has since died. The power light does go on when its turned on but that is about it. I hate to just throw it out without troubleshooting it a little. I did try hooking it up to another display - I did that correctly I think - and saw just a blank screen. Any help or suggestions ?

Thanks in advance ...........

Phil

Edited by Buccaneer, 15 June 2009 - 03:08 PM.

Advertisements

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Hello again Buccaneer!

Alright lets see what we can do, I have a couple of questions.

1. What were you doing when it died? Was it acting strange before?
2. Do you see the BIOS/Motherboard splash screen when turning it on?
3. Is the power light orange or green?
4. Do you have the CD's that came with the laptop when you purchased it? (OS, Drivers/Diagnostics)

Buccaneer

Buccaneer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Trippster

Wow, today must be my lucky day !! I - just for the heck of it - decided to remove the 1gb ddr2 ram mem I had installed and replaced it with the 256 i took out. It now works !! I've never heard of a mem chip [not seated correctly ?] causing a laptop not to boot. Thanks to your help I've gone from having no "travel" D410s laptops this morning to now having 2 that work well. Thanks again for all your help. YOU ARE THE MAN !! :)

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Ha that is definitely a good deal. Can't say that I helped on this one but its still good to hear you got everything figured out.