Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FIXING A COMPAQ WITH ERROR MESSAGES

• Please log in to reply

nieto123

nieto123

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was recently purchased a computer at a garage sale, it is a compaq computer with windows xp, when i turned it on, it wouldn't turn on like a regular computer, instead it told me that it couldn't turn on because it had a missing or corrupt file it was file Winnt_root\System32\Hal.dll so i googled it, and it told me to enter the system recovery thing and Start the computer by using the Recovery Console, and then run theCHKDSK /rcommand.

Note You do not have to include the /p switch in the Chkdsk command-line because the /r switch causes the Chkdsk utility to locate bad sectors and recover readable information. This command implies the /p switch..

so i did this, and then i exit it all out after it did some stuff, (i'm not computer savvy, but i do follow instructions well) :) then it told me if i wanted to run a diagnostic test on it, and i did the basic one because it told me that it reccommended i do this before i try to recover computer. Now, it has a page that says PC-Doctor 5 for Windows PE and it says that it is the test result information page, and it displays a system memory in blue and it says that for the PATTERN TEST ME516-1W and the Advanced Pattern Test ME516-5W, the results are that it has failed. I don't have that disc that usually comes when you buy a computer, but i do have a fully functional lap top which i'm using to try and doctor the recently purchased computer, i don't have money is there anyway to fix this for free? i would really appreciate any help, and sorry for the lengthy message, i am trying to be as thoroguh as i can thanks!!!!

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Click on Recovery Console Instructions in my sig, for directions to burn a CD with the Windows rc.
Once you have the CD burned, click on Repair Common Windows Startup Problems in my sig, and follow the directions there with the CD you just burned.