Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen, Windows XP Home Edition

• Please log in to reply

dil366b

dil366b

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello,

Windows Update completed 13 updates two days ago. When I turned on the pc, I get a black screen which reads:
Intel ® Boot Agent PXE Base Code (PXE-2.1 build 084) Copyright © 1997-2004, Intel Corp. Yukon PXE v3.03 (20040915) © copyright 2003-2004 Marvell ®. All rights reserved.
Pre-boot Execution Environment (PXE) v2.1 © copyright 1997-2000 Intel Corp.
Client Mac Addr: 00 1320 4A 4B88 GUID: 6A5B0E28 C69E 11D9 A674 000EA68F7417
PXE-E53: No boot filename received.
C_Loader ( )==0053
PXE-MOF: Existing PXE ROM
No Bootable device--insert boot disk and press any key

I have inserted the disc that came with the pc, but nothing happens. I cannot access Safe Mode either. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? This computer is four years old and the operating system is Windows XP Home Edition with SP3.

Hope someone can help? Thanks

Advertisements

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
did you take out the any floppies?

dil366b

dil366b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for your reply. There are no floppies in the computer.

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
I recommend doing a repair install. Instructions can be found here... http://www.microsoft...ips/doug92.mspx

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Maybe you can try running a chkdsk before trying a repair installation.
Click on Recovery Console Instructions in my sig, and follow the directions to create a CD. Then boot from the CD, enter the Recovery Console, choose your Windows installation, enter the admin password, and at the prompt type in:
chkdsk /r
This will take a long time, and DO NOT interrupt it.

dil366b

dil366b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for the suggestions! :) When I insert the CD that came with the computer, nothing happens? Any suggestions? I can't access Safe Mode, just keep getting the same display. Thanks

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You need to set the BIOS to boot from CD.
Here is a guide to that: https://help.ubuntu....nity/BootFromCD

dil366b

dil366b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks, :) When I view System Setup, Boot Tab, the display is as follows:

Boot Menu Type Normal
Boot Device Priority <CD/DVD-ROM DRIVE>
<HARD DISK DRIVE>
<FLOPPY DRIVE>
<ETHERNET>
HARD DRIVE ORDER <WDC WD2500JS-22M>
CD/DVD-ROM DRIVE ORDER <TSSTCORP CD/DVDW>
<HL-DT-STDVD-ROM>

REMOVABLE DRIVE ORDER NO REMOVABLE DRIVE
BOOT TO OPTICAL DEVICES <ENABLE>
BOOT TO REMOVABLE DEVICES <ENABLE>
BOOT TO NETWORK <ENABLE>
USB BOOT <ENABLE>

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP. :) SHOULD I STILL SET BIOS TO CD/DVD BECAUSE IT APPEARS TO BE THE FIRST ITEM LISTED? AWAITING YOUR RESPONSE. THANKS AGAIN.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you have more than one cd/dvd drive...if so look in the bios to set the one you want as the boot device OR put the cd in the other cd drive...

dil366b

dil366b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
YES, I HAVE MORE THAN ONE CD/DVD DRIVE. I DID TRY BOTH OF THEM. I ALSO TRIED THE ORIGINAL CD THAT CAME WITH THE COMPUTER AND A BACKUP CD I CREATED. THANKS.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You mention that you have a floppy drive. We can use Smart Boot Manager to boot from CD using a floppy.
https://help.ubuntu....martBootManager
Boot from the created floppy with the Recovery Console CD inserted, and choose to boot from the disc.
Did you try this step?

PC requires you to hold down or press a key to boot from CD

Some computers require you to hold down or press a key to enable booting from the CD drive, the best place to find this information is in your computers user manual or the manufactures website. Here are some common keys to try if you lack that information.

* Apple Computers and others: Hold down the C key while rebooting. Toshiba, IBM and others: press F12 while booting to get to the boot menu and choose CD-ROM. Asus and others: press TAB key while booting and select CD-ROM from boot menu.

dil366b

dil366b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Dear Edge2022:

That sounds like a great idea! No, I haven't tried that step. I never heard of this step before. My computer BIOS does list a floppy drive although I do not know where it is? This probably sounds weird, it does to me? LOL. My computer is a GATEWAY GX7018E. It comes with two DVD/CD drives, a Media card reader located in front of the pc. The back of the computer has more usb ports, headphone/microphone jacks, serial port and ethernet jack. I don't see a floppy drive, so I'm not sure why it's listed. I read at a website that it is possible to boot from a flash drive? Is this possible? It didn't list the exact steps so I'm not sure on the procedure? My USB is enabled, but BIOS boot order does not list USB as an option. I will click on the link you provided for more details on your procedure. Thanks :) Hope to hear more new ideas than the ones I've tried.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you don't have a floppy ...
did you try what edge2022asked you to do hold down or press a key to boot from CD...
do you see any small text on the screen that says press any key to boot from the cd...(you only have a few seconds to press a key) or it will go to the next boot option which is usually the hard drive...
you do have the option to boot from USB...so you might be able to try whatever edge2022 wants to use the floppy for using a usb flash drive...

Edited by happyrock, 16 June 2009 - 07:01 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Yes, there is no floppy drive on that computer.
When you boot your computer, do you see text like: Press any key to boot from CD... ?
If not, then you are not booting from CD properly.
Look at this: http://www.hiren.inf...bios-boot-cdrom

Look on your BIOS splash screen for a key to press to "Select Boot Device"

I an mot so sure about this: http://www.hiren.inf...tcd-on-usb-disk
I was thinking of making a GRUB boot USB, and then copying the files from the RC.iso into the USB drive. Will that work happyrock?

dil366b

dil366b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
The display screen reads: insert boot disk and press any key. The moment I press any key, the drive stops blinking and nothing happens. The drive does blink when I insert the boot disk. It just stops blinking when I press a key. I just keep getting the black screen? I will check the BIOS sequence again to make sure it is all set to CD/DVD.