Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen, Windows XP Home Edition

• Please log in to reply

dil366b

dil366b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I don't know how to backup data since I can't pass the black screen? I guess I can just move on to fix the pc. I do have years of photos, documents, etc. and the games I can restore. Do you know how bypass the black screen to back up data? Thanks

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
1st of all, I can't assure that you can recover data since the diagnostic showed an error.
But it's always worth a try. Click on Backup Files Without Windows in my sig, and follow the directions. Good Luck! :)

dil366b

dil366b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thank you for your suggestion! I will try to back up data without windows? I will let you know about the outcome? :)

dil366b

dil366b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have created the CD (Backup Files Without Windows). I clicked on: Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer. Next display was Ubuntu with bar under name. Next display was black screen with blinking __ at upper left corner? Waited 30 minutes, but this display did not change? Should I retry and wait longer? I don't know if I will be able to backup any data? Thanks

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Please retry a couple of times. Have you already checked the CD for defects?
Also try pressing F4 on the screen which has the 5 options. This one:
https://help.ubuntu....et=mainboot.png
Then select Safe Graphics Mode.

dil366b

dil366b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I checked disc for errors and found the disc had one file error, so I downloaded another disc from a different location. I checked new disc for errors and found no errors. Clicked on Try Ubuntu without changing my computer. Display reads: Menubar with Applications, Places, System, and some icons. I am trying to access files on my computer, but I think it's reading from the disc? When I click on computer, display shows: cd/dvd drive, cd/dvd drive, compact/flash drive, mass storage drive, memorystick drive, sd/mmc drive, smartmedia drive and filesystem. When I click filesystem, there are three files with a square inside of a circle, which are root, initrd.img, and vmlinuz. I believe these pertain to the CD? I have a lot of reading to do! It's great to be able to use the pc again! :) Will keep you updated. If you have any suggestions on how to locate my computer files, I would appreciate this. I do like Linux. Should I install Linux or wait to fix pc first? It's very interesting! Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Good to see that you are interested in Ubuntu. Linux is a really awesome OS.
Here is something very cool you can do with Ubuntu: https://help.ubuntu....-configure.html
Enable the extra effects and try dragging a window around your desktop and maximizing it.

In the bottom

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Good to see that you are interested in Ubuntu. Linux is a really awesome OS.
Here is something very cool you can do with Ubuntu: https://help.ubuntu....-configure.html
Enable the extra effects and try dragging a window around your desktop and maximizing it.

In the bottom of this page: https://sites.google...without-windows
There is a section on manual mounting of drives. Try those steps to gain access to your data.

dil366b

dil366b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for your suggestions. I don't think I'll be able to back up any data? Originally, I downloaded Ubuntu Linux Edition 9.04 Desktop. I could not locate gparted to access the computer files. I then downloaded Ubuntu Linux Edition 8.04 Desktop. I was unable to access the computer files? When I search for Gparted, display reads: No devices detected? Perhaps because of the error, I can't access the computer files? Any new ideas? :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
GParted should be under Applications -> System -> Partition Manager (or something like that)
It reads "No Devices Detected"? Check your cabling... make sure that the HDD is firmly plugged into the motherboard.

If nothing yield any results, go here and download UBCD: http://www.ultimateb...m/download.html
Download the .iso format file and burn it to a disc using BurnCDCC: http://www.terabyteu...ee-software.htm
Boot your computer with the disc you burned and find TestDisk.
Here is a tutorial to rescuing drives with Testdisk: http://www.cgsecurit...sk_Step_By_Step

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try Testdisk first...if testdisk does not work

if you have access to a OEM or retail xp cd you can try a parallel install of windows to get at your data..
Microsoft's Windows XP Parallel Install....
use Method 4: Install Windows XP to a new folder (parallel installation)..
This method describes how to install Windows XP to a new folder (parallel installation) to either run two operating systems, or to access, repair, or retrieve data from a damaged disk...
I used this technique successfully about a week ago to save a bunch of irreplaceable photos for a client

Edited by happyrock, 24 June 2009 - 08:24 AM.

dil366b

dil366b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thank you Happyrock, I will try this method, parallel installation. I have never heard of it, so I will read up and try to access or repair my pc with this method. I really appreciate your suggestion. Love your Captain Ron icon!! Love the flick!

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
A parallel installation may allow you to retrieve files that you need. This has worked many times in the past, so hopefully you can get your data back. :)

dil366b

dil366b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I don't think I can do a parallel installation because when I insert the Gateway Windows XP Home Edition System Recovery CD/DVD, it does not display "Welcome Screen". It only displays: No Operating System installed or Partition corrupted" Press "R" to perform a full system recovery. My backup copy doesn't work?

I downloaded UBCD and clicked on Testdisk? Did the steps recommended and after I clicked "analyse", pc displayed:

Disk 80 - 250 GB/232 Gib - CHS 30401 255 63
Currnet partition structure:
Partition Start End Size in sectors

Partition sector doesn't have the endmark 0xAA55

=Primary bootable P=Primary L=Logical E=Extended D=Deleted

PROCEED
Try to locate partition

I just click Proceed? Display Analyse cylinder? numbers keep changing till it reaches 100%? Next screen:

Disk 80-250 GB/232 Gib - CHS 30401 255 63

Structure: OK

Keys A: Add partition, L: load backup, Enter: to continue

I click continued, next display is for Quit.

Is there another step I should try? Can I repair the pc with UBCD? If I can't backup data, I would like to try and repair the pc?

I also ran GWSCAN from UBCD and this was the result:

Model: WDC WD2500JS-22MHBO
S/N: WD-WCANK1225565
Firmware: 02.01C03
CHS: 484521 16 63
Capacity: 250G
Drive: 0 Port: 0X30C8
Results: "Smart Status: Failed
Error/Status Code: 0059

I also looked inside of pc? I really can't tell if any cables are not connected? Connections seem to be firmly in place. I do see some other connections, but I don't think they're suppose to be connected? Gateway support has an online photo of internal pc and it seems to match mine? I am self taught, so I'm not sure?

I did install 1gb of additional memory about 3/4 months ago. I purchased online from Gateway retail? Everything worked fine after installation.

Thanks again. :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

I just click Proceed? Display Analyse cylinder? numbers keep changing till it reaches 100%? Next screen:

Disk 80-250 GB/232 Gib - CHS 30401 255 63

Structure: OK

Keys A: Add partition, L: load backup, Enter: to continue

I click continued, next display is for Quit.

So TestDisk didn't list any partitions? It looks like serious corruption has occurred for even TestDisk not to find any partitions.

You have (according to me) 2 options...
You can just reformat and reinstall Windows and lose your files...
Or you can buy a hard drive enclosure (around 30$) and get your HDD hooked up to another computer. Then you can try using PhotoRec to recover some of your files.

There is something else you can try with TestDisk but I think it also requires a hard drive enclosure: http://www.cgsecurit...ons_are_deleted