Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Direct X installation problem

• Please log in to reply

JGrant

JGrant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i wasn't done

and i thought the comment made sense that AOE wouldn't let the directX .. so i uninstalled AOE and then tried to install direct X. .. got the same message regarding cabinet and crptographic files

and yes i tried dxdiag

i also checked all of the windows updates.. and all have been installed

so now i am wondering if NeonFx is correct and Age of Empires simply isn't coded to detect the newer versions of DirectX and is insisting on an older version of direct X.. so is there a way i can down load the older version? but then.. now that i have uninstalled AOE there is not reason for me not to be able to download a nwere directX?
so my cryptographic problems continues...

oh and yes I did disconnect one of the two anti virus programs.. it is working faster.. thanks

so still no luck in downloading directX which i think is why i can't do age of empires...

thanks for the suggestions.. any others?

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Actually, Jay was right. The newest version is exactly what the program needs to run. I was wrong in my suggestion.

Have you installed all the updates available for your computer? Go to Start > All Programs > Windows Update to look any updates.

Mr. cake

Mr. cake

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

i also checked all of the windows updates.. and all have been installed

He said he did.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Maybe a certain Windows file is corrupted which may be why you cannot seem to "break down the door."

Do you have your XP disk? If so follow these steps to do a SFC /SCANNOW

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

JGrant

JGrant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok all that is done, including changing the d: to c:however when i try and run sfc scannow keeps asking me for a cd disc.. which i don't have because it is Windows XP
and that is true after I have started the computer.

JGrant

JGrant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i boungt some more ram. tomorrow i install it.

i hope to report that the problem is fixed.

thanks

JGrant

JGrant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Problem solved. IT guy figured it out. THE virus protection program i paid for was blocking the game. Turned off the virus protector and the game works fine.

thanks for your suggestions.