Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is there Mac Hardware? Or, just Mac Hard Drives?

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hey everyone,

First off, I want to be sure to state that I am not asking how to put OS X on my PC Hardware and I will ask for this topic to be closed if such discussion should take place. I do not want to know how to do that and that is not the intention of this topic. So...

I was wondering if in order to run OS X if I have to actually just buy a Mac Computer, or can you build a Mac, or if all the difference is just having a Mac Hard Drive of sorts. I noticed they sell "Mac Hard Drives" on Newegg but they are all external??? Is hooking up a Mac Hard Drive to my PC Hardware illegal? Will it work? My main question is...

Can you build a Mac Computer? Again, my intentions are to have a Mac, not to have OS X run on my PC illegally. Hope you understand my questions. Thanks,

Advertisements

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Apple has done as best as they can to prevent users from running OS X on any computers aside from it's own, but people are still finding ways around it. Apple's software licence doesn't allow OS X software from running on any machine not Apple, though that is something fairly hard to enforce.

So basically, yes it is possible to build a mac computer, but I believe you need modified OS X software.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Ohhh okay,

So I there isn't some site like Newegg that I can go pick out a special processor, video cards, RAM, etc that is made for apple then? Like, where is the difference? That is mainly what confuses me and is driving my curiosity insane! What makes it a "PC" and what makes it a "Mac"? How come It is so common to build computers for Windows, where do I go to build a computer to put OS X on it? See?

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
I believe it has to do with the firmware in Macs. The OS X can only run on a system with a certain firmware, and Mac is the only company that uses this firmware. Like all computer manufacturers, Macs have their own set of CMOS that come with the system. I believe all the other hardware is the same as in any other PC.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Ahh, I see. Well thank you. I guess that answers my questions. :)

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
Actually MAC OS X.5 runs on basic intel computers without a problem. It must be an intel chipset and an intel processor. *it is not able to run on an AMD process or or any other make of chipset*. OS X.4 and before cannot run on an Intel chipset and processor and I BELIEVE use powerPC internal parts. I'm not 100% sure on that though. Which is why those versions wouldn't run on your basic windows computer because Windows only uses intel and amd proccessors

With that being said I have heard of people putting on computers they have built themselves but I am unsure if it is legal or not. I think if you legally buy the software you can put it on any computer that can physically running it (no more than 1 time of coarse).

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Yes it can be, but it is limited.

To make it short, as soon as Apple started using Intel hardware (their mobos are modified Intel boards) and chips, Hackintosh became possible.

When companies market "Made for Mac" parts like memory and drives, thats a nice marketing ploy. At most, the HDD comes pre-formatted in HFS+ which you can easily do during OSX setup. Memory is just memory, all the same standard, same with a HDD.

The way people are able to build their own Macs is they use certain Intel hardware and an OSX disc with a modified kernel. Also, a virtual EFI is installed as well (Mac version of a BIOS).

Hope that helps.

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
That makes sense but is it legal or illegal to run a Mac OS on an none Apple built computer?

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
It is against Apple's Software Licence to run OS X on a computer not apple.

And no, OS X doesn't run just fine on any Intel computers. Like diabilic said, you need a modified OS X disc along with some specific hardware.

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
hum...that sounds interesting but much more detail than that and were getting into a very thin line we shouldn't try to get any closer to. I think I'll look this up in more detail to see how you would have to do it. because until now I had heard ou could do it without anything more than intel processor and chipset. obviously I hadn't done this myself nor do I even have a computer that only uses intel parts. I just have heard that it was possible without any extra effort with the correct parts... My bad folks!! i thought i was offering up sound information.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Over at InsanelyMac.com I recall a thread about someone purchasing all Mac Hardware from different vendors and constructed his own Mac Pro. He used some normal PC components IIRC like a Hard Drive and DVD Drive. I'll have to see if I can dig that thread up.

But basically he purchased all the components online from sites like Ebay. He spent about a 1/3 or 1/2 less that what the comparable Mac Pro cost.

EDIT: A quick Google searched turned up this site where you can get some of the parts. http://www.mac-pro.com/

Edited by amw_drizz, 23 June 2009 - 09:39 AM.