Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error message trying to use Device Mgr after Windows Update to IE8, Wi

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You need a AV and Spyware program.
Malwarebytes is for Malware only. I would suggest Avast for AV and SuperAntiSpyware for your Spyware

Please download Avast from my signature below. Please make sure you do the registration as it is good for a year or more. When it is due simply just reregister it.
Avast in my opinion is better because:

It's FREE to the Home User
It Updates it's Definitions daily
You can scan Individual Files, Folders and Drives
No buying new versions every year

SuperAntiSpyware is also in my signature below.
Both programs are easy on your system and thus will not cause slow downs.

If the other Button for Device Manager is not working then you can delete it. If i am understanding it is a shortcut on your Desktop also?
Before deleting it please let me know if I am understanding you correctly.

I want to be clear on when this all started with your camera. Everything was working fine until you installed IE8 correct?

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
The ESET Smart Security catches a lot of spyware, so that should be fine for real time monitoring. Bundled with MBAM for on demand scanning, that should be a solid combo.

So to verify, you still cannot access the device manager via the control panel correct?

Edited by diabillic, 16 June 2009 - 09:43 PM.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Malwarebytes is for Malware only.

<nitpick>Malware - Malware is programming or files that are developed for the purpose of doing harm. Thus, malware includes computer viruses, worms, Trojan horses, spyware, hijackers, and certain type of adware.</nitpick>

(Source)

PhyllisW

PhyllisW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello helpful folks,

Just to recap,
I am able to get at the Device Manager with the workaround you gave me, the shortcut on the desktop. The regular Device Manager button (right-click My Computer, properties, hardware, Device Manager) still returns an error message.

I am also unable to open my digital camera software for more than a second. This is after re-downloading the driver software, uninstalling in safe mode, and reinstalling in normal mode. Also previously tried uninstall-reinstall with the Device Manager.

Both issues (device manager button, digital camera blackout) occurred right after installing Windows Updates including IE8. :)

I am running an Avast scan right now. Probably will take a while. Ran Malwarebytes scan last night. Have ESET Smart Security running all the time. Am noticing no other issues.

Thank you VERY MUCH.
PhyllisW

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The Device Manager issue is most likely the path in the original button is not correct. The Shortcut I supplied will work till the other issues are fixed.
I suggest you uninstall IE8 and then reboot your system.
You will then need to uninstall IE8 from the Add\Remove panel.
Try the camera and the Device Manager then to see if it works.

If it works then I suggest you go through Microsoft updates and do the Critical and Optional updates. That will include IE8.
It sounds like you may have gotten a corrupt install.

PhyllisW

PhyllisW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,
I am little confused. You said:

I suggest you uninstall IE8 and then reboot your system.
You will then need to uninstall IE8 from the Add\Remove panel.

Do I uninstall IE8 from the add/remove panel, then reboot?

Thanks!!
PhyllisW

PhyllisW

PhyllisW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I ran the Avast scan, and it found nothing. Then I had to uninstall it because it was making my computer unusable. My hard drive is pretty full, and the computer has a lot of applications on it. So the Avast was just too much. I had to use Safe mode to get at it, because the computer wouldn't work otherwise.

Ah, me!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello PhyllisW...

Please uninstall the Avast A/V you've installed. It will conflict with the Eset Smart Security. Smart Security includes Nod32 Anti Virus as well as anti spyware, anti spam, and a firewall. Malwarebytes Antimalware is a very good on demand scanner....keep that.

Then run a System Restore to a date before you installed the troublesome updates. It's very possible one of the updates is causing the problem with the camera. If doing that gets the camera working again, we can reinstall the updates one at a time until we find the one that caused the problem.

wannabe1

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm sorry I got my instructions backwards.. Follow Wannabe1's suggestions and let us know how it is working then.

PhyllisW

PhyllisW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I am working on Wannabee's instructions. Stay tuned.

(I restored to last Wednesday, and found the Device Manager button that's part of the system to be working. Alas, the camera download didn't work. I decided to install more of the camera software, not just the utility. But I didn't do it. First I rebooted because the computer told me to reboot. But the computer decided to reinstall the updates in the meanwhile. Aargh. When the system came up again, the new updates prevented me from downloading anything from the Internet, including the camera software. So I restored back to what I thought was a good point. But it wasn't. It was the point at which the Device Manager wasn't working. ... Need another restore, more camera installation.) (Do I have anything better to do today???)(Am I thinking of getting a Macintosh???)

I really thank you for your patience. I am happy to learn about System Restore. I will let you know later in the day if I got it fixed.
PhyllisW

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

(Do I have anything better to do today???)(Am I thinking of getting a Macintosh???)

:) :) :)

It is good to see you have a sense of humor through all this.
I am sorry for taking so long to respond but I was called away to do work for neighbors. I will continue to monitor this topic for your results.

PhyllisW

PhyllisW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok, I have restored the system to a point earlier than all this happened. The Device Manager is working. Thank you very much for getting this going!!!!

The camera connection is not working. I downloaded all the latest camera software and installed it. I am talking to Canon support people about it. So far the fixes they have suggested aren't working either. I'll continue to work with them. Hopefully they can figure it out.

Ah, me.

God bless you! I am thrilled to know that you all are "out there."
PhyllisW

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't know if they have suggested it but I'll throw this out there and see if it may help.
Have you tried to uninstall all the camera software as we did before. Then reinstall it and then connect camera into a different USB connection?
Please keep us informed as we would like to know how it is resolved even if it is through Canon
It may help another member with the same issue.

PhyllisW

PhyllisW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Here's what happened next. I emailed Canon Support, and they suggested some things that didn't fix the camera problem. They suggested I call them. I never did; I decided to install the camera software on my other XP machine. I did that, and got the same result: no upload.

So finally I have installed it on my Vista laptop, and it works. !!! Yay.

Meanwhile, the original machine is still screwed up. It won't let me open Excel now. (Previously it was the Device Manager that wouldn't open.) A friend is suggesting it's in "DLL [bleep]" with overlapping versions of DLLs called for by my apps.

So I have decided to buy a new computer. I think this one is maxed out, with too much stuff on it, and it's five years old anyway I think. Don't want to buy Vista. Don't want to wait for the Vista follow-on. I am going to by a Mac. I hope and expect that a Mac, where the hardware and the software are designed by the same entity, might work better.

Thanks, everyone, for all your help. You are a blessing to me.
Phyllis W :)