Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard is skipping letters!

• Please log in to reply

abenov20

abenov20

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have a sony vaip laptop. I haven't even had it a year. About a month ago I had to send it in to Sony because the fan died. They fixed the fan and said they updated my BIOS. Well since I got it back I have noticed that when typing it tends to leave out letters that I type and sometimes the the spacebar doesn't work. I don't type very fast so I don't think it's speed and it does it when I an typing one letter at a time and watching the screen. Sometimes are worse than others. It isn't consistant. Just wondering if there is something I can do. Thanks! :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest since it's still under warranty to have them look at it. We can't advise you to do anything inside of the system due to it may void your warranty.
It sounds like you may have a short or something is blocking keys from working. Have them fix it since it was working before they worked on it the last time.

abenov20

abenov20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I was trying not to send it back. The wierd thing is that all the keys work. It's not just one letter or any specific letters that skip. And it's not all the time. It happens a lot on yahoo im or myspace, flickr, or facebook. So I didn't know if it was something simple or not.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It very well could be that a lot of KB's have a rubber safety lining under the keys and when they were repairing it may not have been placed back correctly.
I can't say for sure except that being under warranty it makes what we do limited to a software issue.
i don't believe this is software at all. It's happening in different programs and not always on the same keys.

abenov20

abenov20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
No it just leaves the letters out. I ran a virus scan and defraged and restarted and so far it isn't acting up. We'll see how long it lasts! Thanks! :)