Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New netbook freezing & lagging just like old computer did. What a

• Please log in to reply

FrostyRose

FrostyRose

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I just got my Acer netbook just over a month ago & it's already doing the same things my old computer did. (That one eventually froze to complete inoperability and never came back to life) Actually, it started doing some of them right away the same day. I don't know anyone else who's having these problems. I thought it was my processor or my ram, but I've got double the ram & a different processor. What am I doing wrong?

1) Slow. I always have 3-5 tabs open, one for yahoo, myspace, twitter, and whatever else I'm doing. I frequently change tabs & refresh while doing ohter work. There's a severe lag between when I click on the tab & when it actually changes. Then it's always at least several seconds before I can scroll down or click on anything whatsoever. There's a severe lag between when I type something & when it actually appears. Is it not normal to be able to change from tab to tab & do multiple things online at once?

2) The speakers are starting to crackle, and videos are getting choppier to watch. This is new. It was never super-fast, but not like this. I can still watch them, but before it was smoother, and I fear it'll get worse.

3) System freezes when changing back & forth between program & frequently left with over-lapping image of old program, ie when I change from my IM back to my browser I can still the partial image of the IM for awhile & it takes awhile before it actually switches to my browser.

All these things are really hard to deal with. I've got a free trial of McAfee that hasn't expired. Have run periodic virus scans & found nothing. I'd really love to use my computer normally. Even typing now there's a delay. Please help anyone. Thanks so much. I've got 1g ram, Intel Atom processor.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Any software added to the system after you bought it?
Anything downloaded from the internet recently?
Any updates done as in software updates from Microsoft?

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
7: Attach to your next reply.

FrostyRose

FrostyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Done. Here it is. I really appreciate your help.

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What about the questions I asked?

Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ iTunesHelper
+ mcagent_exe
+ QuickTime Task

When done restart computer and then:

Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

When that is done

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below and run the program.

Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Reboot and let me know how system is running now

Mcafee is a resource hog and unless you have paid for it I suggest you uninstall it and then:

Please download Avast from my signature below. Please make sure you do the registration as it is good for a year or more. When it is due simply just reregister it.
Avast in my opinion is better because:

It's FREE to the Home User
It Updates it's Definitions daily
You can scan Individual Files, Folders and Drives
No buying new versions every year

Let me know how everything is working when all steps are done.

Edited by rshaffer61, 16 June 2009 - 04:21 PM.

FrostyRose

FrostyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Sorry. *trying to think*
Added Clear internet software. Downloaded microsoft office demos for Word, Excel, Publisher. Downloaded Odesk software & some software related to a job I was doing. downloaded a bunch of music.........IMs, and probably some other stuff. Guess I'm pretty download-happy. It's been doing this from the beginning, tho, long before I downloaded any of this. Doing what you asked & restarting now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok thanks for the info. One thing is where did the music come from?
Is any of this P2P downloaded as this could cause problems.
I will await your reply.

FrostyRose

FrostyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I just ran all the programs & am about to reboot & download the Avast. I've heard that uninstalling McAfee can be tricky and cause problems. Is that correct?

My music was downloaded from http://www.mp3va.com/

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Make sure you uninstall Mcafee prior to installing Avast.

FrostyRose

FrostyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok. Someone once told me that McAfee can be difficult to uninstall & I should have a professional do it. Is that true, or do you think it should be ok?

FrostyRose

FrostyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
There's not even an "uninstall" option anywhere I can see. Just go to "add/remove programs" & do it that way?

Advertisements

FrostyRose

FrostyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
A little faster, but there's still a delay. Maybe it is the McAfee.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and download the removal tool for Mcafee.
It's located right under Step 2

FrostyRose

FrostyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
The Avast says it's a 60-day demo unless I have a product key. I thought it lasted a year. Did I do something wrong, or do I have to pay for that version now?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and at the top of the page click on Support
Then click on Free Avast Home Registration
This will take you to another page and on the right side fill in the needed info.
Avast will send you a email with your registration number.

To install registration number click on the Avast icon on your desktop or in your Quick Launch toolbar
When it starts and is doing the Memory Test you will see on the bottom right of the window
Registration
Click on that and it will go to the window where you can now type in your registration number you got in the email.
Follow the prompts when you are done and now Avast will be registered for a year. You should start getting virus definitions updates quickly.

FrostyRose

FrostyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Okay, after an initial improvement.........it's still doing it. Not as bad so far.....but worse than yesterday. The typing lag is worst in Twitter. I can type a whole sentence before it'll show up. Elseware it's more like a letter or two, up to a word. It's really like my computer freezes for a few seconds every time I try to change windows, tabs, or anything. Trying to scroll right away makes it freeze even more. Am I really supposed to click on a tab, wait a few seconds (up to several) to see the tab, and then wait a few more seconds before I can expect to be able to scroll or click on anything? This can't be normal.................is it? Right now I've only got IE and Yahoo IM open. Of course, my taskbar is full of icons, so that's obviously not all that's taking up my memory. Any other tips? Perhaps I need to reevaluate those, but I don't know which ones I need & which I don't. I'm including a screen shot in case that helps. Thx.

Attached Files