Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New netbook freezing & lagging just like old computer did. What a

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) Holly Molly Batman :)

Is that all the stuff that starts up automatically when windows starts or is that stuff you start manually?

That's way to much running at one time. Please do the next steps.

Download and install EVEREST
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Advertisements

FrostyRose

FrostyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yeah, I thought it seemed like a bit much. Here's the report. Thx. :)

Attached Files

FrostyRose

FrostyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
And yes, btw, that all starts up automatically. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you thought about maybe increasing your memory to help out?
Do you really need all that starting automatically?
With one gig of memory and adding the internet with 3 to 5 windows going
plus msn, aim, chat and all the others you state you have going I think we may have found at least in part what the problem is.
If I can suggest something that may help:

Go HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Doing the Defrag and TFC will help a little but I think a more permanent resolution will be just adding more memory.

FrostyRose

FrostyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
The thing is I really don't know what all those things are. Every time I install a new program it configures itself to start automatically. I'd rather some of them didn't, but they don't all have a box you can uncheck for that when you download them. I'm ok with Yahoo IM & internet always being there, but some of the rest are questionable. How do I know which ones I need running all the time & which I don't? Before I had half a g of ram & this time got 1g. I guess I thought that was enough. How much do I need exactly & is it costly? I'm gonna chase the cat around for a minute because he's whining & then shower, but I'll check out that site when I get back. Many thx.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything you don't want to autostart then click ok and restart.

When the system restarts you will see a popup stating System Configuration
Just click the little box on the bottom of that popup to not show or start the Configuration
See if this helps the speed also. Let me know the results

FrostyRose

FrostyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
:) I did that & a whole bunch of stuff I don't understand came up. I'm gonna try and attach screen shots. Will have to do it in 3 posts tho. I've tried uploading it in other formats, but they get rejected. How do I know which ones I need to run my computer properly? :) :)

Attached Files

FrostyRose

FrostyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Here's the second screen shot.

Attached Files

FrostyRose

FrostyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
and the third. Got start-ups?

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please uncheck the following, click Apply and then Ok or Close
Then system will reboot and after reboot you will get the system configuration pop up. Just click the box on the bottom to tell it not to run at startup.
Let me know how system is running.

If you don't use Asian languages then unclick ctfmon.exe

reader_sl.exe this is used to open adobe files faster. Slowing you down with only 1 gig of memory

plfsetl is part of the Sonix software installed on Acer laptops. Normally something to do with webcam. If you don't use this feature it can be unchecked.

tintsetp has to do with translating Japanese and Chinese text in IE, Outlook and Word. This can be unchecked

alcmtr is a data gathering software for Realtek audio. It can safely be unchecked.

imjpmig this is another language translator used by MS Office. This can be unchecked

imscinst yet another translator for Office

jusched sun java updater.Not needed

skype should not be allowed to startup..This could be malware infection

Please follow the next instructions because of last entry.

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

In your topic please put in the description part Skype

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Edited by rshaffer61, 18 June 2009 - 12:01 AM.

Advertisements

FrostyRose

FrostyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi there. Still working on it. On the "SysRestorePoint". How long is that supposed to take? It's been doing this (see screen shot) for about 2 1/2h now w/no change. Did I do something wrong? :)

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It shouldn't take that long. Skip that part and make sure when you start your topic in malware forum that you put in there Restore point unable to create.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Skype is for his phone service.
He can also uncheck msnmsgr (msn messenger). This can be started manually by clicking on the desktop/ program folder icon.
Also uncheck yahoomessenger. This can also be started manually.

You can use Open Office instead of the MS office trials. Open office is free and compatible with MS office.

I would also suggest FireFox Browser. It is safer to use than Internet Explorer. It is not targeted as much as the MS products.

FrostyRose

FrostyRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi there. Sorry, just noticed this reply. My friend also suggested changing to Firefox. While I like the "pretty" setup of IE (accessibility of favorites, ability to have 3 home pages, ease of opening new tabs), Firefox has been working better. I'm still having a frustrating lag when typing in Twitter & just a slight one elseware.....but even that's a little better. In twitter I can see what I'm typing about word or two later........and everywhere else it's just about a second.......just barely enough to notice. It's frozen a couple of times when I've changed tabs but not nearly as much so far. It still freezes sometimes when I first open my computer (it's a netbook) before it even starts loading the home page.......freezes on the black screen that says "Acer". It does't do that constantly tho. I haven't tried changing back & forth between bigger programs like Publisher or anything. My old computer would completely freeze up if I had more than 2 programs open & tried switching back & forth. Maybe I should try that out on here since I've changed to Firefox & such. Oh, and one weird change is I can no longer adjust the volume from my keyboard all of a sudden. There's no volume dial anywhere, I just hold "Fn" and press the up/down keys. That doesn't work anymore. Anyway, I'm playing with it & testing it.

I'm going to read up on this "Open Office" thing. I'm addicted to Microsoft Office, but it's so expensive. I know I won't be able to afford it when my 60-day trial is up.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry for the long lapse in reply but I had out of town guests.

I use Firefox myself and like most of us here we find it to be more secure then IE
You can import all your IE Favorites into Firefox's Bookmarks with just a few clicks of the mouse.