Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power dies and blank screen.

• Please log in to reply

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hey,

I really didn't want to be asking about this but I'm on my last tether :) .

I got a couple of weeks ago a new HAF 922 Cooler-master case. Ive had to put it off due to exams. However i finally finished today so i started building today.

I put everything in and started to sort out the cables. Everything was fine until i turned it on. Initially i turned it on and everything booted fine. I got to Windows logged in. Sweet. Then all of a sudden the power dies.

So i restarted and it did it again. I took the sides of to make sure a cable i routed was pulling or something. But again it restarted.

Now the third time something weird happened. As i moved the machine the screen went green. Weird so i turned it off. Now it just wont show anything.

Also i'm pretty sure that the case head is correct but i cant use the power button anymore. I can only turn the power supply on at the switch and it turns on and wont display anything. I have tried a new power supply but that doesn't seem to do anything. I haven't got another graphics card to try so i cant test that.

Anyone any ideas. Ive tried also resetting the CMOS but that had no effect. Its just nothing has changed except the power supply, which Ive changed from a Casecom 500W to a Cooler-master Real power modular 520W.

So if anyone has anything they can suggest it would be great. I just hope its nothing to do with the hard drive which i doubt.

Also just another point the cooler master PSU has a light on the back to say whether the drive has something wrong with it. However this isn't lit at all. So does this just point straight to the PSU?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except

* keyboard
* mouse
* video output
* 20+4 powercable
* 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
* Cpu fan wire
* power and reset button to the case
*case speaker

Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on

If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Just one comment
In rshaffer61 post

Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except

* keyboard
* mouse
* video output
* 20+4 powercable
* 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
* Cpu fan wire
* power and reset button to the case
*case speaker

You do not need the mouse but do need at least one stick of ram (disconnect the ide/sata cables)
(The speaker may be on boards so you may not need to worry) Listen to see if there are any beeps.

IF after all checks don't work post some specs on the mother board.
good luck

rev_olie

rev_olie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Thanks for the ideas but still no luck.

I tried again in the case with everything out but it still gave no response

So I booted with it in the original motherboard box and connected everything on the second list but it still gave no response...

I'm baffled :)

Also it still powers up without the need for the power or reset switch, I just plug in the power cord and then turn on the PSU and it will boot up, and there is no way of turning it off without simply turning off the power supply, which i hope isn't causing any damage...

Any more ideas

Oh and the mobo is an ASRock Penryn 1600SLI-110dB :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It could be a faulty switch on the MOBO. Have you tried to turn the Power Switch connector around and plug it back into the MOBO?
I'm confused somewhat as if the power is staying on outside of the case then the issue is a short inside the case when the board is mounted.
have you contacted ASRock and asked them about the issue?
Before you said it would start then turn off and now you say it stays on but you have to turn the PSU off to turn it off. Is this correct with the MOBO outside of the case?

rev_olie

rev_olie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

It could be a faulty switch on the MOBO. Have you tried to turn the Power Switch connector around and plug it back into the MOBO?

Yeah. Ive tried it in different combinations but it still has no effect.

have you contacted ASRock and asked them about the issue?

I haven't yet as i didn't believe it was to do with the mobo but seeing as though you've asked i will send them an email

Before you said it would start then turn off and now you say it stays on but you have to turn the PSU off to turn it off. Is this correct with the MOBO outside of the case?

I think i better describe it again. Ive obviously confused you, sorry :)

When i initially setup the hardware in the case, i could use the power switch on the case.
Then after a couple of times restarting the screen went green on the last try.

Now when i try and use the power switch on the case it doesn't work. When i plug in the mains power cable into the PSU and turn the switch on on the PSU the PC will start without me pressing the power button on the case. Also to turn it of i have to use the switch on the PSU.

As for it starting, initially it would load up to Windows and i could use it for about 2 minutes. Then the screen would go black and about 2 minutes after that the power would die.

Now when i turn it on it stays on but the screen is just black and the monitor just displays no input detected.

Both situations carry on outside the case. The power switch from the case doesn't work and the screen stays black. Ive tried again with the other PSU but that still gives me a black screen...
Hope that's better :)

Edited by rev_olie, 17 June 2009 - 07:15 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK it seems you have two issues going on.
First one being the power switch on the case. That looks to be faulty at this point.

The second seems to be the video. Since there is no onboard graphics then have you tried the following two steps?

A different video card
A different monitor. (This can be accomplished by either trying a different monitor or trying the monitor you have a known working system.)

I just want to make sure before saying for sure it is the MOBO.

rev_olie

rev_olie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Ah bummer i have OEM Windows so that's new Windows purchase if its mobo problems :)

I have tried 2 monitors now and both are non responsive but i don't have a different graphics card to try. The only one i have isn't PCI-e its one of the old style graphics cards, in fact it is a ...Inno3D Geforce MX400. It will fit in the x16 PCI-e slot but i don't think its supposed to.

If this is the case do you think i can claim on warranty for the mobo? Its less than a year old and im sure its 3 year warranty so i will contact them.

Is there anything i can do about the switch? I can take the hood off the case easy enough to gain access to the switch so will i need a replacement case or just try and get a new switch?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Case is new if I read your original post correctly.
I got a couple of weeks ago a new HAF 922 Cooler-master case

I would contact who you bought it from and get a RMA or Return Merchandise Authorization
They should be able to exchange it for you since it is actually less then a month old.

I would think that ASRock would be as nice with their warranty also as I have always heard how great they are.
Where did you buy the MOBO and Case? Was it from a online store like Newegg or Tigerdirect?

Both have excellent return and exchange policies. The MOBO I am certain you will have to go thru ASRock for it.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
You can also try to power up the board outside of the case by placing something metal like a flathead screwdriver against the 2 pins for the power switch. That will turn the machine on and that will tell you if the case switch is bad.

Edited by diabillic, 17 June 2009 - 07:50 AM.

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
I haven't said it yet but that's very much for the help. Its calming me down :)

I got the case from Ebuyer.com so i will contact them and see what they say.

I also got the mobo from Ebuyer. However there is no longer a record on there so i cannot ascertain when i correctly purchased it.

Ive looked on the ASRock website and there isn't a lot on there about Warranty. It seems they offer a one year warranty but that's for as they say "Authorized Distributor ONLY". Does that mean i need to go through ebuyer also? even though its more than a year

That's also for as you said RMA

diabillic i wil take a look at that. Thanks

Edited by rev_olie, 17 June 2009 - 07:51 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good suggestion diabillic on the pins. I would still contact ASRock and see if Ebuyer is one of their authorized dealers. It's always worth a try and you will probably get faster service from them also.
Be careful not to short anything else when doing the pins as it could cause other damage to the board.
Please let us know how it works out in the end. :)

rev_olie

rev_olie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Ok great :)

EDIT
There may be one more problem...
Even if the PC case is not plugged into the mobo flicking the on switch on the PSU still powers up the PC... :) .

I cant get round to shorting the pins because as soon as i plug in and turn on the PSU the PC is powered up and i cant turn it on if its already on... :)

Also Ebuyer aren't an Authorized dealer...

Edited by rev_olie, 17 June 2009 - 08:27 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That tells me the MOBO is faulting. It will need to be replaced.
It looks like you will have to go through Ebuyer then to try and get it replaced. :)
Since you have tried a known working PSU that takes it out of the scenario and the only culprit now is the MOBO.
The case should not be a problem but the MOBO being almost a year old I'm nervous about. I'm not sure how much it cost but you may look at Newegg as they have a great line of ASRock MOBO's.

rev_olie

rev_olie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Well at least i know which line of warranty to follow, as i was unsure as to whether to look at the graphics card of the mobo.

Also the annoying thing is that Ebuyer no longer sells that model of motherboard so it could be an issue.

Thanks for all your help. IL let you know what happens