Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power dies and blank screen.

• Please log in to reply

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
How long ago did you purchase it?

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
It was last August.

Ive just sent an RMA to ebuyer and they have responded giving me with a pickup time and package etc so that's going to them tomorrow. Hopefully it is the mobo and then i wont need to fit the bill for the new mobo. Otherwise i need to pay if there's nothing wrong with it.

Now the next thing to look at is Windows Vista. I'm running OEM so I'm going to have to buy ti again for it to be compatible unless i get the same mobo which is doubtful seeing as though the mobo is discontinued.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Was Vista preinstalled or do you have the actual OEM disk?

If the MOBO is bad then Ebuyer should prorate the cost of a replacement for you.

Is your Vista a 32 or 64 bit version?

rev_olie

rev_olie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
I have the actual OEM disk. I bought it at the same time as i bought the mobo, in the same order.

And its Vista 32 bit. So if I myself bought Vista they should foot the cost for a new disk?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have the disk. The OEM can be installed on the new system fresh.
The only time it will be a issue is if the Manufacturer preloaded OS and did not supply a disk. You bought the disk as part of the MOBO so it was not Married to the MOBO in your case.
As long as the OEM is loaded on only one system and one system only at any given time then you are the owner of that software.
Since you are trying to install it then you have no previous installation existing.
I believe you are within the Terms Of Use set forth by Microsoft.

rev_olie

rev_olie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
but ive all ready got Vista installed on a hard drive and have only swapped the case so if i change the mobo could i still keep the existing install or would that require a reformat and reinstall? or would it just need re activating?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You really should be trying to get the exact same mobo as a replacement. That way it will just boot up again.

Otherwise it may need a repair install to get thee drivers working.

rev_olie

rev_olie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Yeah i mean I'm waiting to see what ebuyer say, Its just they have discontinued the mobo now and don't sell it. However they may swap it for another ASRock mobo they have so IL wait and see. IL get back to you guys when they get back to me. Thanks again you've all been great :)

Edited by rev_olie, 17 June 2009 - 06:26 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You may have to reactivate but that is not as bad as it sounds.
One call to Microsoft and just explain you had a upgrade MOBO and you should be back up and running in a few minutes.
You will have to load new drivers if they do not replace it with the same MOBO but that's a slight annoyance with everything else so far.
We will be looking forward to your reply with the results.

Edited by rshaffer61, 17 June 2009 - 07:43 PM.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
You can check your psu and see if it is working.
disconnect the psu from the MoBo.
Posted Image
now take a paper clip and connect pins 14 and 15 now see if it turns on nad off when you take it out.

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hey I'm back :)

Just got a reply from ebuyer with exactly what i wanted in it:

Dear ***,

Following extensive tests by our returns technicians, this item was found to be faulty. A replacement product will be dispatched as soon as the RMA is closed.

YES!!!.

However they don't stock the mobo anymore and wont be getting a replacement but they have issues me with a new mobo, another ASRock one and they are paying for the difference. They also said that i should install it and if i have any problems with the OEM disk they will pay for a new one to however believe it will be covered under the LA by Microsoft so that's good, so my experience with ebuyer has been great and reccomend them to anyone as the returns have been very quick seeing as though it was over the weekend.

Thanks again for all your help guys its been fantastic :)

Edited by rev_olie, 23 June 2009 - 12:37 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear. :) :)
Please let us know if you need assistance with the new MOBO when it arrives.

Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

rev_olie

rev_olie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hey,

Sorry i never replied as to the situation and i like to keep people informed. The new mobo installed like a breeze but as soon as i turned it on, no difference.

After a while of testing it turned out either when the system shorted it took out the mobo and RAM or my old RAM modules were not compatible with the new mobo. Either way the RAM was replaced and the system booted. Also there were no problems with the mobo and Vista... :) my jaw dropped when i logged in. The only problem after that was setting up the graphics and moitor because its a TV and quite a few of the settings were not supported and so was very specific when setting up.

Anyhow thanks again you've all been great :) .

PS pictures of the near completed system below,

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible