Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot failure

• Please log in to reply

mhtnll

mhtnll

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a new laptop with no operating system. When i push in the xp cd the laptop goes :::: reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in the selected boot device and press a key. The bios is set up so boot from cd-dvd and then HD. i dont have a floppy so cant really go for that . What could be the error help me im desperate .... nobody could solve this for me yet need help thanks

Edited by mhtnll, 11 May 2005 - 12:39 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Is this an internal CDROM? If its external (eg USB) you may have to select something else in the boot order, such as USB for example.

I assume the XP CD is legit? if not, then it may not be bootable.

Often when you boot from a CD, you will see a row of dots on screen & you have to press the space bar or sometimes any other key, to tell the system to boot. Have you tried doing that?

Also, check the CD for scratches, marks or fingerprints. Otherwise it could be that the CDROM drive is faulty.
Have you tried booting from a floppy disk instead?

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Check your boot sequence in your bios settings. This is most likely the problem. Does you comp support booting from external sources? Check it out and post

david

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Check your boot sequence in your bios settings. This is most likely the problem. Does you comp support booting from external sources? Check it out and post

david

View Post

Says in his post that he's already checked the boot sequence & it is set to CDROM first, HDD second.

mhtnll

mhtnll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
the rom is internal and the boot sequence is dvd HD and disabled the rest. Xp is legitic tried booting from ipod HD but that was not possible ...... : (

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Is the XP CD definately clean & not scratched? Can you try a different bootable CD in the laptop & have you tried a bootable floppy disk?

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
make sure bat is fully charged if lab is that new new make sure drive is lockin and even if it is spining up the cd if not drive may be faulty