Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP doesn't boot up!

• Please log in to reply

killa99

killa99

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everyone,

Before any of this happened, I installed Norton Ghost, and switched my DVD drive with a CD burner. I had to restart the computer for some reason, when I logged into XP, all the desktop icons showed and everything, then the computer just froze

So i pressed the "reset" switch on my computer. Then my computer started to run the "Chkdsk" on my hard drive. It found alot of errors and dealt with them successfully. Now every time I restart, my computer hangs at the following file (the splash screen doesn't even show!)

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Drivers\PCI.sys

Things I have tried:

1.) edited the boot.ini file so that I can see which drivers are loaded by adding:

/fastdetect /noguiboot /sos /bootlog

at the end

2.) Can't boot into safe mode....also hangs at pci.sys

3.) Expanding the pci.sys file from an XP cd to \windows\system32\drivers\pci.sys with the following command

Expand D:\i386\pci.sy_ C:\windows\system32\drivers /y

no luck.

4.) Tried to 'Repair install' booting from the Windows XP cd, then going to "repair this installation". Completed successfully, but still hangs at pci.sys

5.) I have an XP installation on a different hard drive (also installed on this computer) and I can boot successfully into there. So i tried replacing the pci.sys file from that installation, but no go.

6.) Tried switching back to the dvd burner, no go. Tried removing both dvd drive and cd burner, still nothing.

I have no idea what else to try...It just doesn't get passed the pci.sys file :)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks alot.

Advertisements