Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BIOS Not booting on screen

• Please log in to reply

TechSix

TechSix

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello everyone,
I just got a MSI KM4AM-V n1996 Motherboard and the power sw, reset sw, hdd led, and power led plugs were all unplugged. I put them back into place and the leds don't turn on and nothing shows on the screen. Can someone help me on what might be the problem?
I tried seeing if the ram was no good and swapped it with different ones and still nothing shows up. Please help.

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
Tell me does the computer turn on?
Does it beep at all?

How did you know how to connect the front panel switches?

TechSix

TechSix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yes it does turn on, all the fans come on when I press the power button and it doesn't beep.
Well besides the motherboard having everything marked. This manual assured me everything was correct. http://www.fixya.com...rd/manual-15314

Edited by TechSix, 17 June 2009 - 02:36 AM.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
I saw the same diagram but it was only so clear on what goes where.

When you press the power again does it go off or it only turns off when you hold down the button for 5 sec?
If it turns off right away then the MoBo is working other wise the MoBo has a hardware problem.

I just got a MSI KM4AM-V n1996 Motherboard and the power sw, reset sw, hdd led, and power led plugs were all unplugged

Do you know why they were unplugged?

Are there any cards in the pci or agp slots? if so what cards? take them out and try again.
How many ram sticks are there? Try and take them out and reset the ram.

TechSix

TechSix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The guy who gave me the tower said his daughter pulled them out while he was working on it. I've tried taking the pci cards out and still does the same, I've tried the onboard vga and a VGA adapter and still does the same. I've tried 4 different memory cards for it and still nothing. But yes it takes 5 seconds to shut it down when I press the power button.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
Try and take out all the pci cards and ram and check the speaker is connected or may b on board.
Now try and power on.
If the same happens then it most probably the mother board with a slight chance of it being the power supply unit.

Edited by vally, 19 June 2009 - 02:51 AM.

TechSix

TechSix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok I just did that and it still does the same thing. What do you recommend now? Thanks for helping by the way. EDIT: I've tested 3 other Power supplies on it now and still the same thing with every one. So this means the board is fried? or the cpu?

Edited by TechSix, 19 June 2009 - 08:05 AM.

terrensax

terrensax

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i'm haveing the same problem as you, though i have a diffrent motherboard, i figured it was either my moniter or my video cord,

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
Its the mother board.
All other parts are probably o.k. but need to b checked before use.especially the cpu.
Now we know to turn off the computer before changing hardware.

TechSix

TechSix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I just had the same problem with another computer that I built from spare parts, but it was the cpu that was causing it to do so, so I switched the cpu to the spare I had. I hope the cpu is fine on the other board cause it's a 3.2ghz.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
I looked at you're motherboard.
If you still have the processor that was giving you trouble than you can try it here to try and boot (if is Socket A for AMD® Athlon™/Athlon™ XP/Duron™ Processor
the board Supports up to Athlon XP 3200+ processor.) and if the same happens then you closed all the corners to lead to the mobo. This check could b enough to run the computer but if it does not than you have nothing to loose.
It is not likely at all from my experience to be the processor only (without the board). You mentioned that the computer stopped when it was unplugged while running so...

TechSix

TechSix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It's a Socket 775 I don't have any other motherboards to test it on or any other 775 cpus. So I guess I'm at a loss. My friend has an MSI board he said I can have, but I don't know what socket it is. I'll post on that if I ever get it. Thanks.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
Good Luck :)