Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

NMI: Pariety Check Error.. help. :|

• Please log in to reply

Synesthesiia5

Synesthesiia5

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Dell 1420 Inspiron laptop and my 1-year warrant just expired (how ironic) -- for the past few days I have been having some weird visual errors such as a flickering screen (shows random lines or pixels) Also I've gotten a pink, a blue, and a few black screens. My screen will occasionally freeze sometimes too.

When I opened my laptop today after logging onto (after the welcome screen), I got the following error:

Hardware Malfunction
Call your hardware vendor for support
NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error
**the system has halted**

The error screen was blue and had the crazy black lines so the error msg was even hard to read.

Does any one have any idea what this error could be related to? I'm trying to research it a bit before I go ahead and call Dell. argh.

Thanks in advance though. :D

Edited by Synesthesiia5, 17 June 2009 - 12:45 AM.

Advertisements

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Sounds like your video card or screen is going. I would call Dell even though your warranty has expired. They still may be able to assist you, or fix it for a cost.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Thats a memory problem.

Run memtest86+ and post your results.

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Does memtest also test the graphics card memory?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I dont believe so. The parity error is always a RAM problem though.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
diabillic is right.

MemTest does not check the graphics card memory but it does not seem to b you'r problem

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Ah ok. I know I have had the same symptoms and it was my memory on my graphics card dying. But I did not receive any errors, so I guess I just got a bit confused.

Synesthesiia5

Synesthesiia5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, guys.

I was thinking it was my RAM as well. I did a little investigating.. I took out both of my RAM sticks and tried one at a time, in each slot.

First, I tried the 1GB in the top slot and it worked.

Second, I tried the 1GB in the bottom and it did not work. So I figured the bottom slot is the problem.

BUT, just trying it out.. I stuck both RAM sticks back in both of the slots.. and then it worked! I swear, it seems to work sometimes.. and the f'up the other. :| Pretty odd.

I'm running lots of programs and games to see if it messes up again, so far.. it's working fine.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
The laptop needs at least one ram srick to run. In the first slot the laptop needs ram to boot and run and the other one to expand memmory.
So to check the second ram you need to swap places.
But if it is working then don't touch yet :)