Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot Format the HDD or Reinstall Windows

• Please log in to reply

Peony

Peony

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey all,

I'm working on an old Dell Inspiron 1100... formatted the hard drive yesterday with no problems, reinstalled Windows, worked fine.

Last night I was reinstalling software and drivers, and stupidly installed a driver that I wasn't quite sure was compatible. After that I received several BSODs. I tried System Restore but it failed, and then when I rebooted it gave me the message that the windows\system32\config file was corrupt or missing. The system would load, but very slowly and was unstable (where just a few hours previous it worked great).

Tried the Recovery Console first, and it wouldn't complete the chkdsk. So I decided to wipe it clean and start over. NOW the hard drive won't even format. I get an "unable to format partition. the disk may be damaged" error. When I run diagnostics I get a DST Short Status Test failure. Does that mean the drive could be failing for good?

Any ideas on how to resurrect this one? Thanks!

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Try the following..

Try this:
1. Boot the computer with the Windows disc.
2. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen > press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. When prompted type "1". (if you have a multi-boot computer, select the installation you want to repair.)
4. When prompted > enter the Administrator password. If there is no password, just press ENTER.
5. Now you should be in the recovery console.
6. Type chkdsk c: /p /r > press <Enter>.
7. When the disk check is done: Type Exit > press <Enter>.
8. Take the Windows disc out and reboot.

If that doesn't work the hard drive has to be replaced.

Murray

Peony

Peony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the reply. I actually did run chkdsk before, but it wouldn't complete.

Oddly, though, I just tried to format (long one, NTFS) and install Windows for literally like the 20th time, and this time it finished!

*crossing fingers*

Peony

Peony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
No luck... crashed about 30 minutes until the end of install with a Kernel Data Inpage Error. I then ran chkdsk as suggested... it completed this time - supposedly found errors and fixed them. The Windows installation continued on reboot, but again got a BSOD. Trying DBAN now, then will attempt to install. Again. Argh.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I would burn up a Drive Fitness Test disk and make sure that drive is OK

Peony

Peony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
DBAN result:

DBAN finished with non-fatal errors.
This is usually caused by disks with bad sectors.
Send the log file with all support requests.

I've already run chkdsk... any other ideal way to repair bad sectors? Will check out the Drive Fitness Test as well.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Chkdsk usually works well, but I'm a big advocate of replacing drives whenever bad sectors are found. Its usually next to impossible to find out where they came from and usually it comes from the disk failing. DFT will give you a solid result, make sure to run the extended test.

Peony

Peony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
"Problem detected on a non-Hitachi drive." Bah.

Looks like it's a Toshiba... anyone have a clue where to find a diagnostics disk?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Yeah, replace the drive. I havent found a test for Toshiba specifically, DFT tests all drives fortunately.

Is there a built in Dell diagnostic? I dont recall when they started putting that on their machines. Either way, it looks like you just need to replace that Toshiba drive.