Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iPhone 3.0 Available for Download

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I have been waiting today for the release and as of 1:10 pm EST it is available and I am installing now. Thought I would share the knowledge.

Advertisements

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
I have an Ipod Touch. Did they update the touch or is it still the same? The reason I ask is apple made it sound it was just an update for the Iphone but I was under the impression the ipod touch and iphone were relatively the same with the phone features taken out and obviously no 3G.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Yes 3.0 is available for the Touch. It will give you many of the same features that it gave the iPhone. The one downside, it is a $10 fee to upgrade the Touch. The iPhones can upgrade at no cost.

Link: Apple

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'll go on the record and say that i hate the iphone...and think it's stupid ... but... anyone notice that in the new iphone commercials...the only feature they're advertising is that it can do video now?.... so people stood in line to buy a $700 phone (when they came out)that couldn't do video till the 3rd revision?....

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
Which confuses me because I can watch any video I put on my touch or youtube. Flash is still missing which annoys me but I can get video any other way. I'm not real sure what it upgraded for my ipod and even after looking at the website I doubt I'll pay 10 bucks for it since the features aren't THAT special.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
There is one simple feature why I chose it over a different smart phone; as a small company we want to have mobile mail. Windows mobile is very particular about certificates when connecting with mail. I spent 4 months attempting to connect a windows mobile device to our exchange server and went through ever possible configuration and still could not connect. MS said it was how our exchange server was configured and wanted me to uninstall it and reinstall exchange!! So after reading how easy it is to use the iPhone I picked one up and within 1 minute and no server configuration I had sync'd my mail, contact, and calenders.
Take it or leave it, as an admin, I will take that any day. And now after having one for almost a year Im hooked on it. Now that I have my vpn and RDP on it I can check things remotely and honestly has cut down on the amount of trips I have to take back to the office. :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I spent 4 months attempting to connect a windows mobile device to our exchange server and went through ever possible configuration and still could not connect. MS said it was how our exchange server was configured and wanted me to uninstall it and reinstall exchange!!

should have asked me....i had a similar issue (for 4 days) when i first started playing with smartphones... changed 3 settings in exchange and blam...no issues...of course we're not using SSL yet on the OWA...but the settings i changed don't specifically effect that (basically disabling forms based authentication)...

Now that I have my vpn and RDP on it I can check things remotely and honestly has cut down on the amount of trips I have to take back to the office.

i've got the same on my windows mobile phone...ridiculously handy....i don't remote into servers from home or the road with my phone though (it's just weird and i've always got my laptop with me)...i use it for the machines on the factory floor that would require me to walk half a mile back up to my desk (i'm not joking on that distance by the way) to set up a VNC connection or something to align the touch screens out there

but yeah...to each his own...i don't think people who own iphones are inherently stupid, i just think the phones are stupid

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I did ask you!! Haha, I think I opened up 10 threads in here about different things, and we couldnt get it going :)

I feel lazy, our floor cant be more than a quarter mile :)

But to finally validate myself, I never stood in line waiting for mine :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are there even lines up where you are? don't people just shoot who ever is in front of them and move up to the counter?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Hahahahaha, thats the city. Here in upstate people wait in the parking lot, then when someone comes out with it they follow them to McDonalds and kill them in the parking lot and take their stuff. Crazy times, everytime a xbox or ps or iphone comes out, you know there is going to be violence. Alot of us New Yorkers truly believe whats mine is mine, and whats yours is mine :)