Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Pavilion Desktop won't boot past HP splash screen

• Please log in to reply

stealthman1234

stealthman1234

• Pip
  • 3 posts
so here the deal:
- my HDD are spinning
-mouse has power but not working
-at start up, the lights on my keyboard lights up and then goes out and it won't respond to any key press
-dvd drives do open and close
-it won't boot off vista CD
- i can't access BIOS or system restore

pleaz help!!!

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Disconnect everything besides the keyboard, monitor and power cable from the PC and boot again.

stealthman1234

stealthman1234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Disconnect everything besides the keyboard, monitor and power cable from the PC and boot again.

i did this and still nothing happened

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
OK, the next step we need to do is start disconnecting pieces inside the machine.

Can you list the specs for your machine? HDD, Memory, Video Card, etc

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Are you comfortable inside the computer case? The next step will involve removing lot's of the components to figure out what the problem is. In the past I've had this issue caused by motherboard, CPU, RAM, hard drives, CD/DVD drives, and a NIC card. I'd imagine that the sound and video cards could cause this also.

stealthman1234

stealthman1234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ya i'm comfortable..... i have 2 HDD, 2 DVD drives, 3 gbs of memory---- 2gbs and 2 512s, Gefore NVDIA 9600 GT, Lynksys wireless n card, TV tuner card, FM tuner card

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Pull out all the memory and try to boot. Should beep at you.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Disconnect everything not necessary to boot the BIOS (mouse, hard drive, CD/DVD drive, any cards plugged into the motherboard (other than the video card), all the RAM (memory), all external slots empty - you just want to have the mobo, PSU, CPU and cooler, video card and keyboard in. Make sure to disconnect both the power and data cables to the hard drive/CD/DVD drives.

Try to boot, if successful you'll be able to get into the BIOS (and nothing else). If it doesn't start up (or just beeps at you), put one stick of RAM in the first slot and try again.

If the system still doesn't start, then it's one of the parts that's left in the case that's causing the problem. You'll then have to troubleshoot them (not real easy).

If it does start, then it's one of the parts that you disconnected that's the cause. So, start putting things back one at a time and try it again. When you can't get into the BIOS, you've found the culprit.