Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP graphics card problem

• Please log in to reply

kakaze

kakaze

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I've recently reformatted my computer and reinstalled XP but something weird is happening with my graphics card. Its a ATI GTO X800 and I've got the latest drivers from their website installed.

It works pretty fine and normal in standard use however every time I start up my computer it is in 800x600 mode. I always have to go and set it to a nicer resolution by myself.
Is there anyway to lock a resolution in place? This normally happens by default but for some reason my computer keeps undoing it. Everything else saves just normally though.

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Hi there :) Welcome to GeeksToGo!

Please go to Start > Run and type in MSCONFIG then press Ok

Under the "BOOT.INI" tab make sure "/BASEVIDEO" is unchecked.

Also, if you use the default Windows Theme it will not restart itself everytime you reboot, the Classic Theme however does.

I also found these two other solutions at experts-exchange.com:

1) Here is how to change the resolution via the registry:

Start---->Run--->regedit

My Computer--->HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG--->System--->CurrentControlSet--->Control--->VIDEO--->(expand all until you see 'Monitor', you may have to dig a little at this point)

Locate:
DefaultSetting.XResolution REG_DWORD 0x00000400 (1024)
DefaultSetting.YResolution REG_DWORD 0x00000300 (768)

Explanation: The data is stored as a hex value. 0x00000400 = 1024(base 10/decimal)
0x00000300 = 768 (base 10/decimal)

Exit Registry Editor and restart.

Enjoy.

EDIT: PLEASE BE CAREFUL IN THERE.

2) Here is a way to change resolutions per user:

http://perso.orange....laySettings.htm

kakaze

kakaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Basevideo is unchecked, theme wise I don't have classic. So the easy solutions don't work :)

Looking in the registry- I've two monitors (though I've really only one and its the only one I've ever used) 'Mon10000000' and 'Mon10000080'. One shows 800x600 and the other 1280x1024 (what I use). I'm trying changing the 8x6 one to see what happens...Hope I don't mess something up.

Thanks, I'll see if this works next time I start up my computer.

kakaze

kakaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Seems to have worked, thanks!

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
:) Great!