Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having an issue with Java

• Please log in to reply

rachelew

rachelew

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I recently downloaded the latest version of Java 6. I downloaded it offline. It appears to be active: it is in my control panel and the Java website lists it as successfully active. However it has failed the visual test (an icon was supposed to appear if working properly). i followed technical support, which prompts me to go to Internet Options>Advanced tab> Enable Java. This is the issue. Java in not listed in this tab. It was once there, before downloading the new version. HP told me this is a Microsoft issue. I have even deleted and restarted the download, then restarted my computer, but that didn't work. Why has Java disappeared from the Internet Options tab? As I wrote, it is "active" but doesn't seem to be working.

Thanks for your time,
Rachel W.

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Follow these steps to do a SFC /SCANNOW

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 17 June 2009 - 06:43 PM.

rachelew

rachelew

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

I was able to do this...but there was no "sourcepatch" listed. all I see for everything is "value not set...."

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
:) Sorry, re-read my instructions I advised.

Just try that.

rachelew

rachelew

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
when I type in sfc and select it, a black window pops up really quick and disappears. I right clicked "sfc", selected OPEN, same thing happened...

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Hold CTRL, and SHIFT keys, press Enter.

rachelew

rachelew

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
all shift+ctl_enter did was...nothing... is there anyone else on here who can help?
typing sfc on the search engine does bring up "sfc" but when selected, a black box quickly appears and disappears, perhaps with an error message. I don't think this troubleshooting will solve the issue i'm having with Java since it isn't working. got anything else?!

Edited by rachelew, 18 June 2009 - 08:24 AM.