Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Monitor. New Problems.

• Please log in to reply

KAME

KAME

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay.

I just bought a new monitor the other day. A Samsung Syncmaster 2333sw.
I'll state my pc for reference.

Q6700 core2quad
EVGA 8800gt 512mb
4gb CL4
500gb hdd
gigabyte p35-ds3l
Windows XP 32-bit SP3
Monitor connected via DVI-DVI.

-Refresh rate is set to 60hz
-currently using 2 monitors, an Acer 20" and this one, both connected via DVI. (Tried to fix this with using JUST the samsung, but no success.)

Okay. For some reason, my monitor wants to be at 1024x768 resolution.
Whenever I set the resolution to say, 1920x1080 (which the monitor can do, 100%), the viewable area on the screen seems to be 1024x768 OF the 1920x1080. Sort of hard to imagine if you haven't seen the problem.
At 1920x1080, the icons are the same size as they would be in 1024x768. The taskbar would be OFF-SCREEN. I could drag my mouse to the edge of the screen downwards, and the screen would move to the bottom, eventually displaying the taskbar.
I have tried 190.15 guru3d Forceware drivers, and am currently using the latest Nvidia 185.3(or something) drivers.
I have also tried a 17x.xx driver, don't have any information on which one anymore though. I've also installed the drivers for the monitor too, although that didn't do anything.
My other monitor, the Acer AL2016w, works fine. I can set the highest resolution for that monitor (1680x1050) and there are no issues.

Not sure what's going on here, and I'm positive this monitor can use 1920x1080.

Need some desperate help on this matter. =D

Advertisements

KAME

KAME

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Have tried both. But the problem doesn't exist with the multi-display, because i've tried to fix it with the samsung alone.