Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Have any of you guys ever had a panic attack?

• Please log in to reply

CompooterDummy

CompooterDummy

Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I knew I'd been feeling pretty bad for the past three weeks and my writing was positively vitriolic so I figured I was getting something off my chest. My mind was totally scattered. But then today I ended up in the hospital sure I was having a heart attack. It felt like something was squeezing my heart with all it's might. I thought I was going to suck up a lung and my head felt as if it was going to have a dozen anuerisms (spelling???) at once. I was pouring sweat and thought I might spontaneously combust at any minute. When the doc told me I was having a panic attack I seriously thought he'd lost his mind. I've felt panic before but it was nothing like that.

When I've heard people say they thought they were gonna die when they had a panic attack, I didn't think they really meant it. I thought it was "just an expression". Now I know better. I thought I knew what panic was. NOT. I had no idea adrenalin could be so sadistic!

Advertisements

Mr. cake

Mr. cake

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
I have not but I may be heading that way because of my environment I live in.

Edit:

I probably just need a break.

Edited by Mr. cake, 17 June 2009 - 09:32 PM.

ZedU54

ZedU54

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
...I've been there...those things are very real; anxiety/panic disorder is a legitimate medical condition and actually affects a lot of people. I've had a doctor describe those attacks to me as the body's normal 'fight-or-flight' response gone haywire. And they feel just as you described--which creates a vicious circle because they scare the bejeezus out of you--which only makes them worse...
...A common suggestion if/when you have one is to try taking a Benadryl (which may calm it down); if not, guaranteed you'll wind up on some kind of medication (antidepressant and/or tranquilizer) to control them...

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
My cousin had one. His father was in the hospital and the doctors said he didn't have much of a chance. That caused the panic attack.

Texas Chick

Texas Chick

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
For the most part..I do know that I had a hard time breathing and felt like I was going to die points in time when my husband got orders to leave for 3 years (we see him like 4 weeks then he is gone 2 to 3 months, back for a short time and out so I am pretty much saying mostly gone the entire 3 yrs). Got worse after I was forced to talk to the first in charge in order to get approved to move overseas (he was a complete jerk and made things way worse dispite the MLEA teaching how to talk to people, he obviously never read the material himself). And of course when the detailer basically told hubby that if he didnt sign the 3 yr overseas contract that he would still go to the boat for the 1yr 7 months left on his contract and then if he ever signed up with any military that he would be taken to court. With 6yrs till retirement..he really didnt have any option but to sign. Im pleased to say that the detailer is now in a heap of trouble (he ticked off a LOT of people..aka not giving them open spots off their dream sheet instead giving them places he knew they wouldnt want..like those that wanted boats, they got land units...those that wanted land units got boats.

Even now just thinking about the harsh seas and bitter cold during the winters makes me have to stop and remind myself to breath evenly.
Far different when your spouse WANTS to do it vs. not wants to. And when your son crys often about missing his daddy..breaks your heart.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Yep, I started having them for a little while after a bad breakup. Actually went to hospital once for it cause I couldnt breath. Tried about 4 different medications for anti anxiety after MUCH hesitation since I hate drugs and each one had its own worse side effect. I eventually stopped having them, but I supposed I lucked out. My friends brother has em bad, for the last 20 years. Suppose it all depends on the person and the situation, but what I can tell you is try to isolate what exactly caused it to start, that's how I was able to overcome it.

RatHat

RatHat

Ex Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 7,829 posts

...A common suggestion if/when you have one is to try taking a Benadryl (which may calm it down); if not, guaranteed you'll wind up on some kind of medication (antidepressant and/or tranquilizer) to control them...

Benadryl? This is an anti-histamine used to clear blocked noses.

It is not a good idea to take any advice regarding drugs to be taken unless it is from a qualified medical practitioner. I am closing this topic before anything else which could cause adverse effects is recommended.

RatHat

RatHat

Ex Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 7,829 posts
After getting PM's from both ZedU54 and CompooterDummy confirming that their Doctors have agreed that Benadryl's sedative effect can be beneficial in cases of panic attack, I am reopening this topic for discussion.

I would prefer that further recommendations about specific drug use be left out of the discussion though :).

ZedU54

ZedU54

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

I would prefer that further recommendations about specific drug use be left out of the discussion though :).

...no worries, mate...sincerest apologies!... :)

timlower

timlower

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey there--If you experience panic attacks there are things you can do without medication. Firstly, and honestly, if you re-experience them, go see a mental health practitioner. Also, see a physician to rule out a physical cause. While medications can help, panic attacks can have multiple reasons for their onset and perpetuation. Sometimes the difficulty is caused by behavioral cues, and sometimes panic attacks are symptoms of underlying life stress. Some tips: learn thought stopping techniques and identify your triggers. Panic attacks can be triggered by lots of different things (e.g., internal agitation, smells, sounds, etc.). Thought stopping techniques should be practiced when you are calm and before you experience an attack, so that you are better able to do this when feeling an attack. Identify people you can rely on during an attack to help calm you down. Know that panic becomes a problem for most people not because of the attack itself, but rather because they fear another attack, which they feel is largely unpredictable. Understand that nothing is wrong with you; your body is simply reacting to it's internal state in a natural way. Becoming anxious about the experiences you are having exacerbates the problem. Allow the attack to run its course. Get rest, fluid, eat right, and get exercise. Panic attacks do feel very, very badly, but you can gain control of them.

Again though, this is just some general advice from someone who used to practice in the field. Don't rely on it for diagnosis or treatment for your particular case (proper diagnosis and treatment requires an in-person assessment). Please do see a mental health practitioner, it'll help.

Advertisements

CorruptNova

CorruptNova

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I use to get terrible panic attacks, they were so bad that someone had to force me to sit down before I hurt myself. Usually it starts with racing thoughts and I get fidgety which quickly turns into pacing back and forth throughout my home. The attacks usually peek at 5 minutes and I start getting lightheaded and sometimes objects in my vision become warped. I've learned to cope by sitting down and intensely focusing on an object and keep telling myself that the fear that I'm experiencing is irrational, it looks goofy from another person's perspective, but its a [bleep] of a lot better then looking like a crazy fool pacing back and forth.

Nosfearatu

Nosfearatu

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have panic attacks 3-5 times EVERY day... Lol.

I refuse medicine.

Your spirit has to fight its own battles not hide it. :)

Nosfearatu

Nosfearatu

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

The attacks usually peek at 5 minutes and I start getting lightheaded and sometimes objects in my vision become warped.

Man, I remember that [bleep] bro. I got over that and now it's just the adrenaline rush and thoughts. I just smoke a cigarette, go outside and look at the stars, and just relax. Works every time.

Cough, smoking is bad by the way, cough.

easyday

easyday

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Had them long ago. Doc said to breath into a PAPER bag. It worked ! When driving, think "I'm getting off the highway at the next exit" and just relax.
Good news: you eventually adjust and they go away. :)

imafool4u

imafool4u

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
I've only had one panic attack and it was after beating a guy up with brass nuckles. Don't smoke cigarettes, don't talk to anyone OVER THE PHONE. Do it in person.