Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Separate Front Panel Audio and Back Panel

• Please log in to reply

Gylfie

Gylfie

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm not sure if this is to go under a different topic or not but this is the one I chose, so...yeah.

My current problem is that when I use a voice chat program, like Ventrilo, I can't listen to music at the same time. So I was wondering if it was at all possible if I could have music come out of my speakers, and have the voices from Ventrilo come from the headset. My headset is plugged into the front panel, and my speakers are plugged in at the back.

I was told there was a way with Realtek HD Audio, which I have, but it was never described in any form of detailed way, and by that I mean they never said how to do it, just that you could.

Advertisements

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
This is done by changing Sound and Audio settings in both Windows and in Ventrilo.

In Ventrilo, change all your audio inputs/outputs to be from your headset.
In Windows -

• Goto -> 'Control Panel'-> Sound and Audio Devices'.
  • Goto the 'Audio' tab.
  • Use the drop-down arrow for Default Playback and set it to your speakers.
  • Goto the 'Voice' tab.
  • Use the drop-down arrows to change the Voice playback and recording to your headset.

Let me know how this works.

Edited by Trippster, 18 June 2009 - 10:20 AM.

Gylfie

Gylfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry I'm on Vista, forgot to change my info and say that. Things sadly aren't like that anymore, it'd be lovely if they were though..

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Hm I dont have a Vista machine near me so I dont exactly know where the equivelant settings are. Try snooping around control panel and see what you can find that is or seems similar.

Gylfie

Gylfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I can't seem to find the equivalent, Vista is far more complicated than it needs to be...

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Hopefully someone else can bump in and help you find the sound and audio settings for Vista.

Gylfie

Gylfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hopefully, thanks for your help anyways.

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
I am almost positive that this issue is software/OS related, and not hardware. (i.e. it does not require hardware to be plugged into specific ports)