Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Please help

• Please log in to reply

darrollagulhas

darrollagulhas

• Pip
  • 0 posts
Please help!!!
I have recently installed windows XP again because on the start up flash screen there is no hard drive showing. I dunno if this is a motherboard, graphics, or power supply problem. Sometimes it does run and I get to the desktop but then the colours go all wrong. Thereafter if I start up windows again, it won't allow me to go further than the startup flash screen. Can anybody help me?

Advertisements

smajer

smajer

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,

This sounds like a video card issue. I would suggest running some diagnostics on the card and memory also. I had my memory go bad on my video card and had same symptoms. You will need a boot cd to load from and run tests to determine what it may be, I suggest Hiren's Boot CD 9.x
You can find info at http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd
Altho I did not see a download, you may need to locate a diagnostics bootable cd elsewhere, try google.
Google, and this is most likely video card or ram issue, however Hiren's CD run all types of tests to help you pin point the problem.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to go.
It sounds like the bios is not seeing the hard drive all the time. Assuming this is a desktop (you gave us no info on type), I would first remove power from the computer and open the case. Being careful, remove and reseat all power connections and data cable connections on the devices. If you have any additional pci cards, then reseat them also. Try it and see what happens.

You could have a motherboard issue, hard drive, video card (if add on) or video on the board. It could be a few things and we need to try and narrow it down.

Please give us some info on the computer?
Laptop or desktop?
Dell, HP, Gateway, home built?
Make and model?
Other info might be needed later.