Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error loading operating system

• Please log in to reply

free32

free32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I agree. Now, you can at least boot to Windows, so you can easily back up your data.
Before reinstalling Windows, I'd...

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD, and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Man - call me pig-stupid and put some lipstick on me, but how can i determine which southeast asian country made me my happy hard-drive for my HP computer?

Edited by free32, 22 June 2009 - 09:20 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Go Start>Run, type in:
devmgmt.msc
Click OK.
Device Manager will open.
Look under Disk Drives. It may tell you.

free32

free32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I really appreciate your help! But this dog just wont hunt. Entering device manager says "navigation to web page cancelled." I can copy, but the paste function is gone. So -- any other way you can think of to salvage some stuff without paste before I reinstall? And as I do not have windows XP cd, will windows console do it? :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Did you type exactly devmgmt.msc?
Every letter counts.

free32

free32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yeah - just as you instructed.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Something totally wrong here.
If you want to save some data, you need to slave the drive in another computer (http://www.dtidata.c...ave-hard-drive/), or use hard drive enclosure.

free32

free32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
During the fix, cd.. was NOT accepted, but cd (without ..) was. Would this matter?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm sorry. Come again?

free32

free32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Sure - the commands you instructed me to enter, attrib -h, del boot.in ---- you said to start those with a command "cd.." When I entered that command it was not accepted. So, knowing how flexible and forgiving these machines are, i entered "cd" instead, without the two periods ".." :)
This was accepted without a reply message.

So, do you think the fact the the first command "cd.." you said to enter did not go thru way have had some problem result? :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
"cd" command does nothing, "cd.." command should bring you to root directory, so the prompt looks like this:
C:\>
You have to be in root directory to perform other commands.

Advertisements

free32

free32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
so when I enter "cd.." at c:\WINDOWS>, it says "command not recognized." It did however accept the ATTRIB commands.... I was able to boot computer after, not having done all this from the c:> drive. Any idea on any other way to get to c: drive to reboot windows console disk and retry?

PS YOUR answer on post #1556292 looks like the problem I have as I think anitivirus and reg error software may have deleted some good stuff. this may be why i could copy, but not paste. that threat had no resolution.

Edited by free32, 26 June 2009 - 12:58 AM.

free32

free32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Alrighty --- turns out 'cd..' should be with a space. 'Cd ..' worked. :) Redid process and it went thru, but still do not have paste. just cut. maybe due to malware remover program deletions?

Ps, tried to do replacement, not repair, it said end user agreement was not available! make any sense?

Edited by free32, 26 June 2009 - 03:23 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
cd.. with a space?
Never heard of a weird command like this.
I'd stop banging your head, and go for reinstall.