Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New pc, older monitor, screen goes black every so often.

• Please log in to reply

Writin_Reg

Writin_Reg

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
First here's my brand new system - for my birthday May 30th :

AMD Athlon 64 X 2 Dual Core 5200+ (MSI-7506 MB w/ 8 gig DDR2 ram capacity)
CPU is Brisbane (if that matters)
Real Tech High Definition Audio w surround sound speaker system
PNY Nvidia Geforce 9400 gt w/ 1 gig on board (driver 185.85)
Western Digital 320 Sata Main drive
2 gigs matched dual channel Corsair Extreme Performance DDR2 ram
Lightscribe Superwriter Sata Speedplus dvd/cd rom 48X RW
16 button Logitech wireless mouse
logitech wireless keyboard
Antec 430 Watt Power supply

OKay now my monitor has seen at least three other systems as I try and update everything else every two years, but when I bought my monitor I paid about 400 dollars for it and like the job it did for it's small size as I did not have a large area to place my monitor in at the time. Each time I updated my system I saw no reason to have to update a perfectly fine working monitor and that way I had more dollars to spend on better stuff for my main system. My son is a pc tech at Tri-State Pc, so I get his shop to build my systems. Unfortunately my trouble started a few days ago and my son is off on Vacation with his family, so I need and appreciate any ideas if my problem may be my monitor. At a gaming site I go to another member said it sounded to him like a capacitor or two is shot in the monitor and possibly could be fixed. But as this fellow is a tv repairman, not a computer repairman I thought maybe someone here could tell me. You guys have always been so helpful to me with all my other pc problems in the past, before my son was out of college and actually working as a tech.

Anyway, it does not seem to matter whether I'm playing a game, or doing the work I do from home using Office, or just writing text on one of the forums I go to, with no warning at all the screen appears to just shut off. The screen is rich and deeply lovely colored and my black is pure black - not greyed out. It is not asleeep - that's shut off as is hibernation - so it can't do that. Besides I am actively using it, and it does not happen every day, it just happens every now and then. So I have to push the main button to shut it off. I found out if I immediately turn it on after that happens it is still black so I have to shut it off completely. Wait a 20-1000 count, then turn it back on from a complete cold boot and it may run fine rest of the evening - sometimes even several days before this happens again. I have all kinds of monitors and sensors on this system and the temps of all my new stuff is considered perfect. The video card runs between 41 and 43 degrees. The CPU is about 34 -36 degrees. The HD is about 29-31 degrees.
The memory test are perfect. The PSU wattage is steady and exactly what they should be with no rails showing any problems. The only thing I do not have is anyway to see inside the monitor with a test or temp check, but it does not feel hot, just warm after a few hours use - nor do I smell anything odd.

Also all my fans are running perfectly. Nothing is dirty as I have had this in use less than 12 days.

I also made sure my son had all my drivers the latest drivers for my system components as well.

IDEAS anybody?

Advertisements

Writin_Reg

Writin_Reg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Solved myself - replaced monitor.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
That was going to be my suggestion. At least to try another monitor. Glad you got it and thanks for letting us know.