Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IP Address, Wireless Network Issue

• Please log in to reply

dancerjbh4

dancerjbh4

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi! We have a wireless network setup in our house that had 3 computers on it. Our desktop running windows xp was directly connected to cable and is our main computer. Our laptop also running xp connected wirelessly as did our other desktop running windows 98. We had problems initially setting up our network but called in a professional to fix it and all was fine. However, we just got another laptop tonight and in trying to connect it to the network managed to completely mess up everything. Now the only computer with a network connection is the one desktop that is directly connected.

DIRECTLY CONNECTED DESKTOP: (running xp)

is connected on our network: corrigan network
connection status:
manually configured
ip address: 192.168.0.1
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: (blank)

under the LAN connection tab it says
address type: assigned by DHCP
ip address: 192.168.1.100
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.1.1

however previously i believe under the corrigan network tab it listed the ip address as 192.168.1.103, the subnet mask was the same, and it did list a default gateway (the same as the LAN).

OLD LAPTOP: (running xp)
WAS connected.
our network appears as one you can connect to. when you highlight it and click connect, a previously entered 8 character network key appears and you can click connect. a pop up says "waiting for network to be ready..." after a while it says connected! but then under wireless network connection status it says limited or no connectivity.
the ip address is listed as 169.254.36.141
the subnet mask is listed as 255.255.0.0
the default gateway is listed as 169.254.36.141

i have tried hitting repair under wireless connection status support and it always gets stuck on "renewing your ip address". a pop up comes up saying "windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action could not be completed: renewing your ip address. contact the person who manages your network"

i have also tried going under my LAN connection settings on the laptop to properties. then highlighting internet protocol (TCP/IP) and clicking properties. i have tried both entering the ip address, subnet mask and default gateway in the fields. and also checking obtain an ip address automatically and neither option works.

the signal strength on the router comes up as excellent on all the computers, but it always says limited or no connectivity.

NEW LAPTOP:(running vista)
i click connect to a network, highlight corrigan network and click connect.
i get: windows cannot connect to corrigan network
- diagnose the problem
- connect to a different network

i click diagnose the problem. i get:
windows association failed because windows did not receive any response from wireless router or access point.

PLEASE HELP ME.

Advertisements