Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need to set a password

• Please log in to reply

125pounder

125pounder

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have 16 yearold that has forgotten who pays for the computer. I need to set a password that he cannot get around on the home computer. I have set one before and he got around it.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
XP Home or Pro?

125pounder

125pounder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
xp

Perplexus

Perplexus

Lord of the Geeks

• Malware Removal
  • 1,185 posts
1) Here's an article on creating strong passwords:

Strong passwords: How to create and use them.

2) Make sure they don't have access to an administrative account as that can be used to reset other accounts.

I also have a teenager and I would rather not fight the battle of computer access, therefore I control Internet access. If you have a router that supports MAC Address Filtering (which I think most probably do), then look here on how to obtain the MAC address of his computer. You can use this to either permit or deny access through the router, effectively cutting off Internet access.