Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I check files on an external hardrive a win32/heur virus has i

• Please log in to reply

Patrick_uk

Patrick_uk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there,

I've had a look through the forum and can't find anything specifically about this.

I managed to get this infection a few days ago. I had recently reformatted (prior to infection) as was my pc was crashing when CPU in high demand. cleaning the heat sink fixed it.

Anyway, I managed to get a win 32/Heur virus which is a nasty bu**er it seems. I just reformatted the pc, as it seemed easier, and only took a couple of hours. I reinstalled a game on my pc and then used a an exe file that I copied across from the external hard drive which then sent this virus infecting everything again. I started again, and the C drive seems fine again.

I have a 2nd hard drive and also a external drive, mainly for video editing files and movies. Can anyone tell me if theses files are likely to be infected? Is there a way of finding out? and lastly if they are is there anything I can do so I can still use them?

Note: I did use AVG and MALWARE BYTES to scan the whole pc after both formats and it finds nothing. I removed the exe file that I knew was infected.

Thanks

Steve

Edited by Patrick_uk, 19 June 2009 - 06:13 AM.

Advertisements