Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

help removing a corrupt file

• Please log in to reply

MargiRose

MargiRose

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi there,

Thanks for your help in the past removing nasty-ness! :)

Lately when I start my compuer, I get a blue screen saying that a file is being checked. It takes a long time for my desktop to come up, and when it finally does, I get this popup at the bottom: (screenshot attached).

Thanks again in advance!

Attached Thumbnails

• toolbar_notifier.JPG

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hello MargiRose,

Click Start > Run.
Type in the box: "chkdsk /f c:" without the quotes.
Click Ok.
Choose Y (or Yes).
Restart your computer.

This process could take a long time.. depending on the size of your hard drive. Just wait for it to be done. Se what you get! :)

-Jason

MargiRose

MargiRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
J-man....well that was quick! Thanks - I'll try that as soon as I get home today.

~MargiRose

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
No problem :)
Tell me how you make out.

MargiRose

MargiRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
:) It is supposed to say this when I try to run it:

"chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?"

I checked Y and restarted but I got the same blue screen that took forever before my desktop came up.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
That error is located in system restore. I am surprised that it is being checked.
Do you have the Google toolbar? That is what the error is referancing.

I am hesitant right now to have you delete the restore points. But doing so would get rid of the error. I am also concerned that something else is actually behind the error.

Are you able to get into safe mode (F8 on bootup) without errors?
The check disc utility will not repair this file (at least I do not think so) because it is locked within system restore.

The following will delete all but the last restore point. Hopefully the corrupt file is not in the last one.
Go to Start Menu/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Cleanup. Run disk cleanup. When it brings up the next window showing what can be cleaned up, there will be a tab for "more options". At the bottom, click on cleanup. It will warn you that this will remove all but the last one. Click on ok.

We may have to turn off system restore temporarily, but lets try this first.

123runner

MargiRose

MargiRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Bringing in an expert I see. :) No offense of course, Jason!

To answer your questions....yes I have the Google toolbar; and I don't know about your safe mode question because I hadn't tried.

I'll go ahead and run the disc cleanup. I created a restore point not long ago when someone here helped me get rid of some spy-crapola, so there shouldn't be too much to delete.

MargiRose

MargiRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Ok, I ran disc cleanup, uninstalled Google toolbar, restarted....and it still won't run chkdsk.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
The command is chkdsk c:/r note the space before the c

I do not believe chkdsk is what we want. This may take a long time. HERE is what microsoft says about chkdsk.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hey there guys,

Sorry if my input was incorrect, I was following what the error message said. If I find any useful information I'll let you know - other than that, 123Runner knows more than I do, so you are in good hands!

:)

Ectech

Ectech

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Hi Margi,

Some versions of Mcafee include a backup feature. That could be whats stopping chkdsk from running.

-=to disable Mcafee=-

Click Start > Run > Type: msconfig
Select the startup tab > click disable all

Next, select the services tab > check "Hide All Microsoft Services" > uncheck any services that say Mcafee.

Finally,

Click Start > Run > Type: cmd > Click Ok
Type: chkdsk /r > confirm the check at startup > Restart your computer

Edited by Ectech, 19 June 2009 - 05:49 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
OpenOutcome... not to worry because we do not know all there is.

Ectech... Glad to have you onboard. Maybe it is McAfee stopping the chkdsk. We will soon find out.

MargiRose

MargiRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks for everyone's help. It worked with the command 123Runner gave me and I had not seen Ectech's post so I guess it had nothing to do with McAfee. It took several hours which is why I've been offline. Should I assume I'm ok now or are there further instructions?

Thanks fella's :)

PS - this disk checker won't run every time I restart, will it?
EDIT: Everything seems ok this morning.....restarted and the desktop came right up. :-)

I really liked having the Google toolbar though. Was that the source of my problem and is it not ok to re install it?

Edited by MargiRose, 20 June 2009 - 07:11 AM.