Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Extending the Wireless Router Coverage

• Please log in to reply

nates_tips

nates_tips

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
My church has a router, with two wired connections and three computers on wireless (we installed Linksys Wireless-N PCI Adapters).

Here's the question; our youth room is in another brick building only about 20ft from the building with the router. Our Youth Pastor has an office and would like Internet connection in the Youth building. His computer is at least 100 ft from the router, in an entire different building.

I have a good understanding of basic networking, but I was wanting some opinions. Is there a way that I can extend the network coverage, such as a Wireless Range Expander?

If so, what product do you recommend?

Thanks for the help!

Advertisements

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
I dont think so that software can do this think. The only way is if your router supports expansion of the signal you could use it, but if it doesnt you can buy an antena and plug it on the pc that is far from the router.Or bring the pc nearer :)

nates_tips

nates_tips

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
michaelg9,

I'm very well aware that software will not be able to help me catch the signal. I consider myself an advanced computer user and I suspect that I will need some sort of antenna or "wireless extender device" to further my signal. I know that there is products out there that will enable me to do this, but I have never worked much in this area.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction or possibly recommend a product to work for this, as I don't want to go out on the limb and tell my church to buy something that wont work. :)

Thanks for replying, and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
You need a Wireless Repeater or Wireless bridge, one inexpensive way to do this is to get a Linksys Router for around 40 bucks and flash with DD-WRT firmware, this firmware allows you to use the router as a Wireless Bridge with basically connects the two routers over wireless, then they can simply plug into the wireless bridge as if they were in the same building. I do this to connect my XBOX wirelessly to a router in another part of my house,it works well.

Edited by mike171562, 01 July 2009 - 08:55 AM.

nates_tips

nates_tips

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Mike,

Thank you for the help! :)