Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTLDR is missing when installing 2nd HDD

• Please log in to reply

scherry2

scherry2

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey there,
I aquired a emachine w3503 when my mother passed away. I formatted the Hard drive and installed windows xp on it. (long story, no restore disc, lots of crap on computer...) anyway things are fine with the computer untill I try and install a second hard drive that has a lot of music on it. I power down and plug in the 2nd hard drive making sure both hard drives are in the cable select position. when I boot up "NTLDR is missing push control+alt+delete to restart" I can unplug the grey ribbon to the 2nd hard drive and it boots up fine.
help! I hate to lose all that music.
sheldon

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

Try setting the first hdd to "Master" and the second one to "Slave". See if that does the trick.

Murray

scherry2

scherry2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm in the midst of trying that now. thanks

scherry2

scherry2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
stupid me. I was putting the jumper on the master hard drive in the wrong spot. I put it in the second from the right when it was suppose to be second from the left. thanks for your help. :)

Edited by scherry2, 19 June 2009 - 12:59 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
No problem.

Murray