Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sslloowww puter/flashing tray items

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hello,

Running Win XP, seems to be OS rather than browser problem. After running Spybot, Maleware, AVG - and of course deleting listed "bugs" - (at least I think it was after this?!) I have a slow computer. I select folders and they'll open slow, with several open they are shown at window bottom (tray?), I notice some are showing up yellow, when I try to open them, they will not. They may even flash (white to yellow) while refusing to open.

Any ideas how to chase this bug?

Lloyd

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Looks like your problem is malware related. Please go to the Malware Forum and read the stickies located at the top, especially this one.
The guides will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. Then you can post a OTL log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. Only after a three day wait may you move to The Waiting Room where you will be on the top of the list to be helped. A three day wait is 72 hours.. Make sure it has been over that amount of time, or your Waiting Room topic will be closed.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

-Jason

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Excuse me for being such an un-educated newbie. From that Malware and Spyware Removal Guide I see some instructions but not enough - for me anyway.  

self-help, malware removal guides - can't do those, don't know what my problem is.

I did the ATF

Did System Restore - even tho I can do same w/ HP software - right/same?

Did Erunt/Emergency Recovery - doesn't it do same that's on Emergency Backup CD I made from my HP computer?

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware  - had, updated and ran. It is for trojan and spyware? It is NOT for viruses? Which are antivirus programs?

I looked thru my puter and found:

titles                                          in Add/Remove

Ad-Aware                                              show
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware                      show
ATF Cleaner                                         no show
ERUNT                                                   show
AVG Free 8.5                                          show
AVG Free Edition                                   no show
Registry Mechanic 5.2                               show
Spybot - Search and Destroy                     show

Spybot - Search and Destroy 1.5.2.20         show   - 1st time to see this listing
Juniper Networks Host Checker
SpeedUpMyPC 3                                   no show
Driver Detective                                      show
CCleaner                                                 show
Program >Speeditup Free                       no show
ParetoLogic > Driver Cure                       no show
PC Drivers HeadQuarters > Driver Detective   show

winsockfix                                            no show

Which should I keep and which to remove? Can I remove from all that's needed from Add/Remove?

STEP 2

I donloaded, installed, ran Avast. I turned off all other virus/trojan programs from tray. It showed several entries to remove> Wanted me to verify remove 3 from Windows folder, I said No.

I guess I'll stop there because I re-read the Remove other anti-virus programs

After I get an update on what/how to remove I'll proceed.

Thanks for time and advice.

bamakodaker

Edited by bamakodaker, 24 June 2009 - 09:48 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
bamakodaker... I will answer some of your questions, but first I will ask a few.

On March 16th 2009, you have a topic started and based on some weird file names, Broni asked you to post in the Malware forum. You did not respond to that, nor post in the malware area. Why not? View post HERE.

You were again asked to post in malware. I understand you can't do some of the steps, and that is ok. Let the malware staff know that. We are suspecting malware/ virus and until you are clean we can not proceed furthur.

Now some of the things I know are as follows.
1. Uninstall AVG. That is all copies. It looks like you have 2 (the free one and version 8.5)
2. Only have 1 antivirus program running. Multiples will conflict.
3. Remove any remnants of AVG by using their cleanup tool (found in the link in my signature).

Did System Restore - even tho I can do same w/ HP software - right/same?

. System restore takes you back in time before a issue became a problem. Its used for say a bad install. You do not lose any data.

Did Erunt/Emergency Recovery - doesn't it do same that's on Emergency Backup CD I made from my HP computer?

. Erunt backs up your registry only. The emergency Recovery CD allows you to do other functions as well. Having both is good practice.

Malware antimalware (MBAM)is for malware as you state. We highly recommend it.

titles in Add/Remove

Ad-Aware show Is this Adaware Se or Adaware 2009? If it is, it is resource heavy-uninstall it
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware show Keep this
ATF Cleaner no show Keep this
ERUNT show Keep this
AVG Free 8.5 show Uninstall and run their cleaner
AVG Free Edition no show This might be part of AVG Free 8.5/ Uninstall/ see if it goes away
Registry Mechanic 5.2 show I would uninstall. We do not recommend any registry cleaners.
Spybot - Search and Destroy show Uninstall/ there are other programs recommended in the malware forum

Spybot - Search and Destroy 1.5.2.20 show - 1st time to see this listing Uninstall
Juniper Networks Host Checker No comment/ I know nothing about it.
SpeedUpMyPC 3 no show No comment/ I know nothing about it.
Driver Detective show Ok to leave. Your choice
CCleaner show ATF cleaner is better. CCleaner has a registry cleaner we stay away from.
Program >Speeditup Free no show No comment/ I know nothing about this.
ParetoLogic > Driver Cure no show No comment/ I know nothing about this.
PC Drivers HeadQuarters > Driver Detective show No comment/ I know nothing about this.

winsockfix no show No comment/ I know nothing about this.

Instead of Spybot, the malware techs (I believe) are using Spywareblaster and Spyware guard.

I am not a Malware Tech, but when I also see odd named files and weird programs, I will also recommend the malware forum. They are the experts. When they deem you clean and if you are still having issues, you can return here.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I don't understand what I'm missing in instructions.

First that Malware, Hijack this logs go here - I do not see that location. I've looked in Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal and the Malware Removal Guides and Tutorials forum. I just had a thought - maybe it's because I'm using Opera and don't see everything. Sorry, I've 5 tabs opened and not starting over.

Using Add or Remove, removed AVG, restarted, no show in Add/Remove, there is an AVG folder in Programs. No AVG shows in Add/Remove.

I looked around in the AVG site and saw nothing about a clean up tool.

You wrote "Is this Adaware Se or Adaware 2009? If it is . . ." One says simply Adaware, the other say Adaware 2007. Does that mean they are not resource heavy and can be kept?

I removed Registry Mechanic.

I tried to remove SpyBot in Add/Remove. It removed then a flag said not all items were removed and may need to be removed manually. SpyBot is still in Progam folder. 

CCleaner removed.

I'll restart then just go to Malware forum.

Thanks for the start.

bamakodaker

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide. Go to this link and start doing what is recommended. Most times it will clean up alot. Then open a topic in that forum and referance this one.

AVG Cleanup program Choose the first for 32 bit and the 2nd for 64 bit OS

there is an AVG folder in Programs

. Right click the folder and delete it.

One says simply Adaware, the other say Adaware 2007

. I would remove the Adaware 2007 and leave the "Adaware" till we figure out what it is.

SpyBot is still in Progam folder

. Right click the folder and delete the folder.

123runner

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Sorry for the late reply. I went thru my computer and evidently I did as you suggested - I just never replied though! I do appreciate your advice.

Bamakodaker

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How is the system responding now?
Better or the same?
I see you had a Malware topic opened Here originally started in June.
I also see you have another topic HERE just opened today on a MAC system?
Are we dealing with the same system?

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I guess my other PC computer complaints could be sealed as Resolved. My Win XP seems to be working OK now. I will go to Malware and look through there though.

The most recent is about my Mac Powerbook, yes - entirely different. 

Thank you for checking!

bamakodaker

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not sure what you mean.
IS the issue resolved and the system is running correctly now?
If you still feel like there is a infection then yes please visit the malware forum.
We do not close topics here as there is always a chance the issue will return.