Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

building new machine, have questions on it

• Please log in to reply

Gaflem

Gaflem

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have not built a system since agp and 939 sockets became obsolete. I am rather quick to learn and from the information I have been finding I just need some things cleared up and some confirmations. The intel i7 is said to be the top of the line at the moment but is overkill for a gaming computer. I am interested in staying with amd as that is all i have used since I began pc gaming. One question is, if I go with an am3 phenom quad core will this be more than enough or should I go with the i7. I figure if I go with the am3 then I will be able to upgrade to whatever amd comes out with soon to compete with the i7. Part of what I have found as well is that am3 boards are few in number and do not have more than 4 slots for RAM, maxing me at 8gb ram with my budget. I plan to go with windows vista 64bit as well.

Here are the parts I plan to use to build my own computer: (recommendations for the mboard are encouraged)

Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS Black Full Tower Case w/ 25CM Fan - Retail

ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

EVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible ... - Retail

AMD Phenom II X4 810 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor Model HDX810WFGIBOX - Retail

OCZ Special Ops Urban Elite 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model ... - Retail (2 sets)

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

SAMSUNG T240HD Rose-Black 24" 5ms HDMI Widescreen HDTV Monitor - Retail

LITE-ON Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - OEM

SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F - OEM

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

This computer will be used 99% of the time for gaming. Part of what I am after is also that it will play the games on a 24in monitor at native 1920x1080 resolution. And as above, I am not sure about the motherboard and the compatability of all the parts namely the memory and the mboard. Any help, suggestions, recommendations, and/or confirmations would be great.

Thank you

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Looks pretty good to me, actually. 8GB of RAM is heaps, should well and truly last you the lifetime of this build anyway.

Cheers and welcome :)

Troy