Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Cannot Open Volume for Direct Access

• Please log in to reply

Lucci78

Lucci78

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello everyone,
First i'd like to start out by saying thank you, even tho this is my first post on the forums i've already found many answers by reading over other topics and your responses! I found a previous post that described the same problem that i currently am dealing with, i wanted to post under that topic but as of May 7th it was locked, so i was forced to create a new topic.

Ok now to describe my situation, about 2 days ago i had scheduled my hard drive to preform a Scandisc the next time i reboot my system. So when i did restart, i am now getting the message "The type of File is NTFS
Cannot Open Volume for Direct Access" and scandisk does not start, after this message pops on the screen for about 5sec it goes into booting my pc normally and i'm back in Windows.

---Now from reading over your forums and some other places i found online let me go over the steps i've already tried
1) I'm currently running Windows XP Pro. Service Pack 3 (thats the info i get when i right click on "My Computer" and choose properties)
2) I do not have Spyware Doctor installed on my computer, in some other places i guess there is a known issue about this very same problem and that removing spyware doctor fixed the scandisk problem. Sadly its not that simple for me! The only anti virus program i have is AVG Anti-virs v8.5
3) I was able to use my Windows disc to get into the recovery console, and from there i did manage to run "chkdsk /r" and when that was completed it said that it found one or more errors and fixed them. So after that i was feeling pretty good that my troubles were behind me, i exited recovery console and restarted my system...but the same message shows up! The type of File is NTFS Cannot Open Volume for Direct Access.

From the previous post about this same topic, JSntgRvr had said this error may indicate a major problem with the harddrive...i have a gut feeling this may be the boat i'm in. The past few weeks my harddrive seems to make alot of noise, even the simplest stuff like browsing the internet will make my harddrive sound like a jet trying to take off! lol! If anyone has some other things i can try please reply! i could use all the help i can get! :)

----Is there a way to format or fix the mbr? i haven't backed up my data on the hard drive yet, will this action erase my files?

Edited by Lucci78, 19 June 2009 - 06:14 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi Lucci78 ...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
you should ALWAYS start your own topic..

first...BACKUP anything you can't live without now while you still can...after your done let us know and we will see whats up with the hard drive...it may just be fragmented real bad and is thrashing (that may be the noise you hear)..
back up your data by burning it to cd/dvd's and also to another hard drive if possible...if you go the cd/dvd route ..make sure another computer besides your can read the data

Edited by happyrock, 20 June 2009 - 08:27 AM.

Lucci78

Lucci78

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok sorry for the delay, it took me most of the weekend to back up my files onto several dvdr's. i'm now ready to do some work on the hard drive! :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you make sure a different computer could read the dvd's...
what make of hard drive do you have...we want to run their own tool to test the drive

Lucci78

Lucci78

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok here are the specs for my hard drive:
Make: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
Size: 320GB
Firmware: 3.AAC
Model: ST3320620AS

And i do have a laptop that has a dvd-rom drive so i can access my dvdr back up discs i made (i'm not that much of a newbie!) lol

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

And i do have a laptop that has a dvd-rom drive so i can access my dvdr back up discs i made (i'm not that much of a newbie!) lol

didn't want to imply you were ...but someone else reading this might not know to verify that their backups were successful ...and different computers can read them

get SeaTools for Windows and do the extensive tests on your drive...
tutorial to get and how to run SeaTools for Windows here

Edited by happyrock, 23 June 2009 - 06:36 AM.