Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu Virtual Appliance for VMware Player?

• Please log in to reply

nates_tips

nates_tips

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I'm installing a virtual machine and I'm using VMware Player. I'm wanting to get Ubuntu as an virtual appliance at vmware.com.

However, all of virtual appliance files at vmware.com are torrents. Unfortunately, my ISP does not allow me to download torrents as they consider it a form of file sharing.

My ISP uses a 2.4GHz wireless radio on a grid antenna where a cable runs into the house and can be plugged into a desktop computer, laptop, or local network. It works by transmitting signals to and from nearby wireless tower antennas, instead of using a traditional phone line. Unfortunately my ISP does not allow any form of file sharing because of it's ill effect on a wireless network. Unlike a wired connection, when dozens of packets are sent or received, everyone on that tower is affected. For that reason, the offending account will be restricted by the tower for the benefit of the entire network.

This is NOT A QUESTION recommending or asking about file sharing, as we are not allowed to discuss that here at Geeks to Go. I'm just simply asking where I can find a virtual appliance that is not a torrent, because right now I'm in a crack and can't do anything else till I get the virtual appliance.

Can somebody help me here?

Thanks!

Advertisements

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
i think the only way of resolving this is to ask a friend to download it for you, who uses broadband,

you could try limiting the download speed to say 5 kilobits a second, but for a 1gb file this may take a while

a suggestion is to contact the builder of the virtual machine and see if they can post you a cd/dvd,

another suggestion would be to use another virtual machine package (virtualbox) but you will have the same problem,
most linux distros are downloaded via torrent but you can order the .iso from the builder at a small cost,

sorry i can't be much help

nates_tips

nates_tips

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Thank you, hawklord, for the help.

I live in a small little town (population 2,200), and there is only one ISP to choose from, so we're stuck with them.

They strictly prohibit any use of peer-to-peer programs, because of it's negative effect on their other customers. Unfortunately, clients like BitTorrent is considered peer-to-peer file sharing (P2P), so I can't attempt to download anything.

nates_tips

nates_tips

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I've even looked on Ubuntu's page about VMware, and for virtual appliances they say to download them from vwmware.com.