Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power, but no video output

• Please log in to reply

W-Unit

W-Unit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Yep, that's the board.
Well shoot, I KNEW I was missing something hehe. Looked through soooo many mobos before I decided on that one. Now reading the description I see that it says "Up to 24GB of DDR3 1333 RAM can be installed..." but when I decided on the board I was looking at the "Specifications" tab, wherein it said "Memory Standard: DDR3 2000(O.C)/1866(O.C)/1800(O.C)/1600(O.C)/1333." I just ignored the O.C when deciding on it for some reason; I figured it could run all the speeds with no problem.
Again, I'm currently running this PC with the "DRAM Frequency" setting at "DDR3 1600MHz." This does not feel like "overclocking" but appears to have achieved the desired effect, no?

Oh, and incidentally, anyone got any guesses as to why my video card emits a high pitched buzz when I run a 3D application? I plan to contact HIS about this but if there was a way I could fix it myself that'd be great; one of the last things I want to do now that I've got this PC running is have to wait on an RMA on an essential component like the video card...
It's this card.
While we're at it, there's a sort of ticking noise that occurs when doing almost anything that changes the display... even scrolling over a text document is enough to trigger it. This I can tolerate though as it is not an especially annoying sound or anything.

Edited by W-Unit, 24 June 2009 - 01:17 AM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

I plan to contact HIS about this

Thats not a bad idea. I'm not sure if that would be considered normal or not. Video card fans can be quite noisy and loud sometimes.

there's a sort of ticking noise that occurs when doing almost anything that changes the display

Well, I would guess your hard drive, but that really shouldn't coincide with your display such as scrolling. You sure it isn't your hard drive? See if you hear the sound every time you see your HDD Light blink. That could be a normal sound, could be a bad sign.

Again, I'm currently running this PC with the "DRAM Frequency" setting at "DDR3 1600MHz." This does not feel like "overclocking" but appears to have achieved the desired effect, no?

The fact that your computer has actually turned on is a good sign. The first test is "will it boot?" when you attempt an overclock.

Since we are heading way off the original topic and somewhat in an area that is beyond me as of now, I would just start a new topic about the question(s) you may have now. I know that in order to test your memory, you need to run a program called memtest86, however, I'm about two days from doing it my first time :) So, you should start a new topic title, "Memtest86", subtitled, "how do I use it?" Something like that.

I'm glad you got your computer going. :)