Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP wont boot!

• Please log in to reply

bulletproof

bulletproof

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I was using my computer the other day when it froze. I just though it was a random windows thing so I rebooted. Then it froze again. When I rebooted a third time the Bios screen scrolled like usual. However instead of the Windows XP and loading bar screen a screen that said this came up:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.
Seconds until Windows starts: 30

As if that isn't bad enough I can't use my arrow keys to start XP in safe mode. I've seen this problem posted before but those people could always boot into safe mode. Also, when starting up it beeps before it shows the bios screen (thats normal), and when the "Seconds until Windows starts" timer reaches 0 nothing happens. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by bulletproof, 11 May 2005 - 01:19 PM.

Advertisements

Gradje34

Gradje34

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Try attaching a different keyboard.

bulletproof

bulletproof

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Tried another keyboard, same result. (The only other keyboard I had was a mac keyboard, if that makes difference...)

bulletproof

bulletproof

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
108 views and 1 reply? Can't someone help? I'm afraid that I'm going to have to reinstall Xp.....

Edited by bulletproof, 11 May 2005 - 06:10 PM.

bulletproof

bulletproof

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I think I have found a fix. During a bout of frustration I put in the Nortan Systemworks CD and rebooted my computer. But instead of the "hardware configuration problem" screen a new screen came up asking if I wanted to boot from the CD. I would have tried it except my keyboard doesn't work (I think because its a usb, a old green connector might have worked.) Anyway the C:/ drive was highlighted and so it continued to boot. Then, an odd screen that was light blueish came up, sort of like the old "Scan Disk" screen in Windows 98. After "repairing" the hard-dives widows continued into the login screen. I logged in but noticed that My desktop was and old configuration and the time was an hour fast... (daylight savings). However my computer runs and I didn't lose any files!

Gradje34

Gradje34

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Glad you got it Fixed Bulletproof! :tazz: