Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't stay in stand by/hibernate

• Please log in to reply

aee29445

aee29445

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've scoured the web & can't seem to find an easy solution, so I hope someone here can help. I do NOT know any computer programming of any kind, so please be gentle with me... ;-)

I have an HP a14103 running XP. For some reason when I put my computer into stand by, it wakes itself up at random with no discernable pattern. I have checked my automatic updates and antivirus setting and they don't seem to be the source of the problem. I don't know how to go into and read or correct anything in the BIOS (but I'm impressed with myself for knowing that term!). I tested the system last night by going into stand by and waiting until after the screen saver was set to start to see if that could be what woke it up but that wasn't it. I've set the mouse to not wake up the computer in case it gets accidentally jogged enough to trigger a wake up. The computer is set to allow hibernate in the power settings. I've moved most of my downloaded files to an external hard drive and I disconnect that when I go to stand by in case one of those files has something embedded in it that could cause the computer to wake up. I've run a complete scan and registry cleaner. I still get the same problem.

Any help would be appreciated! I do completely shut the system down about once a week, but for daily use I prefer to go to stand by just since it's so much faster than waiting for it to reboot.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi aee29445 ...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
if you have the bios set to wake on LAN...or your network card Configured to WOL..this can happen...more here...
try going to shields up here and click on proceed and then continue...then click on each of the tabs...one at a time to test your system...

aee29445

aee29445

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I checked the network connections per the link and didn't see the settings the link specified (I only had an icon that said Local Area Connection when I opened the Network Connections menu; this is just a home computer, connected to the internet via DSL, but not networked to any other computers, in case that makes a difference to this issue).

On the Sheild's Up link, I ran the File Sharing test and it passed, then ran the Common Ports test and these were my results (not sure how to interpret them):

Solicited TCP Packets: PASSED — No TCP packets were received from your system as a direct result of our attempts to elicit some response from any of the ports listed below — they are all either fully stealthed or blocked by your ISP. However . . .

Unsolicited Packets: PASSED — No Internet packets of any sort were received from your system as a side-effect of our attempts to elicit some response from any of the ports listed above. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system remained wisely silent. (Except for the fact that not all of its ports are completely stealthed as shown below.)

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation.

All of the listed ports showed Stealth mode.

So, I'm not quite sure what any of this means... what's my next step? ;-s

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Theres also a setting that you can check that will allow the device to bring the PC out of standby mode. If you goto Network Connections in the Control Panel, right click the LAN adapter, click Configure then find the Power Management tab.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

So, I'm not quite sure what any of this means... what's my next step?

I was verifying that someone was not connecting to your system remotely...(bringing your system out of standby)...
do what diabillic said to do...

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What is HP a14103? I can't find any reference to any model like this.
Laptop, or desktop?

aee29445

aee29445

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay, I turned off the Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby selection... now we'll just have to wait and see... got my fingers crossed! Thanks!

P.S.: Broni, it's an HP Pavilion a1410e desktop...

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
If it's desktop, turn off all possible power saving features.
They simply suck.

Edited by Broni, 20 June 2009 - 04:50 PM.

aee29445

aee29445

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
well, I followed diabillic's suggestions and so far the computer stayed in standy by for 24 hours! Maybe too soon to celebrate, but I'm gonna go ahead & do it anyway! Thanks so much! :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)